Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcsm_gw

Ivan and rearranging my garden

MCSM
19 years ago

I need a little help now that Ivan is forcing me to rearrange my garden. Ivan split the largest limb off our ginko tree behind the house. The tree is so ragged, it may have to come down altogether (and don't get me wrong, I am grateful that nothing actually hit the house). I will have a tree company out soon to help with that decision. Anyway, that tree created a very nice shady bed in which I have hostas, an hydrangea, and a now gargantuan elephant ear. The hostas leaves are turning brown around the edges already. My questions: should I move the hostas now or wait until spring? Should I move the hydrangea? Also, I have iris bulbs planted around the base of the tree. If the tree has to come down should I move those first? All things considered, we are very lucky, I just don't want to make mistakes now which I will regret later. Any help would be appreciated... thanks. -m

Comments (10)

• jrgardner
    19 years ago

I've moved lots of things now -- not only because of Ivan knocking out all my trees, but we haven't had rain since so it's been unbearable for my shade loving plants - they were under my magnolia which is no more.

My problem is I have no tree left -- I mean none. So, everything went into pots and on my patio until I can figure out something.

I also had an elephant ear under a tree and moved it to a pot -- I think it will be okay and seems to be adjusting okay -- mine was pretty big, but I just put it in a big pot.

Good luck -- seems like we're in similar circumstances.

JR

• Pcola
    19 years ago

jrgardner

I, too, lost almost all my trees. I plan to plant some new ones, starting with river birch, which is one which did seem to survive Ivan pretty well. In addition it is a fast grower. I'll have to find some others to plant. I'm certainly not planting pines!

• jrgardner
    19 years ago

I've read that red maples grow fast, but I haven't seen any to determine if they survived the storm. Have you?

Also, where are you planning to get trees? In our area? or via mail order?

Thanks,
    JR

• MCSM
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The garden editor from the newspaper in Mobile did a great series of articles on what trees survived and which ones did not using data from the last five years or so of hurricanes... Here is the links to one of the articles- but if you search the Mobile Register online under Bill Finch and trees you can get all the reports. Also, the Mobile Botanical Gardens is having it's fall sale next weekend and they always have great native trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill Finch's guide to trees which survive hurricanes

• MCSM
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is a better link- it has the actual list of preferred trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: The actual list of trees

• Pcola
    19 years ago

I was surprized to see red maples on the F list. Both of mine survived. The others in my yard that survived are: magnolia, okame cherry, sycamore, bradford pear, and all the crepe myrtles. Those that didn't: all the pines and the 3 leyland cypress.

• jrgardner
    19 years ago

If we base it on personal experience the Magnolia grandi flora would not be on my A list. My 30 year-old tree was a total loss -- however, we seem to have had tornado damage by the ways the trees were twisted, including the magnolia.

The pines should be an "F" -- all of mine went -- pulled right up out of the ground and left big holes - yuck.

It seems such a hard balance -- something you like or something that "might" make it. I'm going to hope for no storms for a few years and go for at least one maple.

JR

• MCSM
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I agree, it's hard to decide between practical and pretty. I love Bradford Pears. They remind me of the street where I grew up, lined on both sides with Bradfords and in spring it was like magic snow when they were in bloom, but most 'professional' gardeners don't really like them.
    I think if you can stick with a relatively native species you like, then you are ok... I also think a lot of this has to do with where you live. If you have a tree protected by lots of other trees, houses, etc you may have a better chance than if you have one big tree on a relatively empty lot. Plus, as JR says- when there is a storm that big, it doesn't much matter, you do what you can.
    The Mobile Botanical Garden Plant sale is this weekend if anyone in the area is looking for good stuff- we got a terrific Satsuma tree there last fall- and we already have Satsumas ripening to show for it!

• Pcola
    19 years ago

JR

I'm thinking that there are a couple of categories of trees that did well: those that are "naturally" able to withstand the wind and those which weren't too tall. For instance most of the River Birches I have seen - whether young or old - survived. I think they must naturally weather the storms well. My 10 year old native magnolia, which is about twenty feet tall survived just fine. If it had been taller, like yours, it might not have fared so well. In the long run I think the taller the tree the more likely it is to snap or blow over in a fierce wind.

• jrgardner
    19 years ago

RE: Bradford Pears -- we lived in NC during the ice storm of 2002 and lost a 20 year old bradford pear in the front yard. They split into three pieces when they go down because of the way the trunk forms. The storm happened in early December so the tree still had leaves -- what a mess that storm was. Someone called it a hurricane on ice because of the tree damage. No power for 5 days that time, so Ivan wins.

I'll look into the river birch. I think diversification is key and tree height -- it the trees were shorter than the houses, they seemed to do better.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions