Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you 'transplant' spanish moss???

Posted by alison_charleston Z8 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 04 at 15:19

I have 2 live oaks that desperatley need some spanish moss..

can I get some and throw it up into my trees???

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you 'transplant' spanish moss???

Yes It's a fungus and will grow on live oaks. Wear plenty of bug spray. It's full of chiggers and skeeters.

o

• Posted by BarbC 8 coastal SC (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 19, 04 at 6:35

Yep - it'll grow where it lands.

o

It is not a fungus, but an aerial bromeliad. Its latin name is tillandsia usenoides ( forgive the spelling if incorrect). But, given the appropriate climate, it will transplant easily. It will not, however, transplant well to a place it doesn't belong...i.e, Charleston Moss won't grow in greenville, New Orleans moss won't grow on trees in Memphis, etc. etc. Not for long and it won't "culture", anyway.

o

Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 18:54

Charleston moss WILL grow in Charlotte - ask my mother. I can show you S. Moss in her trees that was brought home from Charleston when I was just a kid (that was a while ago and I remember both "harvesting" it and transplanting it - I was about 10)

I am pretty sure that the poster will be gathering local moss for a local transplant, tho.

o

Well, apparently your Mom's place is suitable climate for it...but, as a general rule, they do not transplant well out of their range. It has been tried, mostly unwsuccessfully, time and time again. There is even a native stand of it in Delaware. Its range is limited by its relative lack of cold hardiness as well as its need for HIGH humidiity. Your Mom's place must look pretty cool; sometimes Spanish Moss is best enjoyed when it is "out of place" somewhere.

o

No kidding? I'm shocked to know that spanish moss would grow in Charlotte!

About the transplanting. I suggest that the plant be hung from a lowest branch. It does best when it can get plenty of filtered light, water, and air circulation. That's why you often see the biggest gobs of it on really old, declining, or sickly trees.

o

Tue, Sep 21, 04 at 17:46

It has never really "spread" much, like it does here, but its does multiply in small increments.

I'll try to get some pics next time I am up there.

o

It will survive, but grows very slowly here in Z7. The problem we have is: birds love to use it for nesting material and they eventually decimate the transplanted clumps. I replenish it occasionally with sealed bags full from St. Simons Island(note the operative term "sealed", as it is loaded with insects!)

o

Georgia,

I'm assuming that you're from around St. Simon's. I live in Brunswick and I'm just wondering if I'm in zone 7 as well. I don't know all that zone stuff.

Jess

o

No Jess....you would be an 8B acording to the 1990 USDA map...and a zone 9 for the proposed new map. I'd say if you were a solid zone 9 if you are in the city limits or on the Island.....if you'll look around right now you will see bananas with fruit and tangerines and other citrus plumping up on the trees. Its that way here in Savannah...and you are 75 miles south.

o

Great. Thank you.

o

Not all Spanish Moss is full of redbugs (chiggers). For reasons I've never understood some areas the moss is full of them, other areas it's not. The moss on my trees doesn't seem to have any as I'm often pulling it down to get it out of my face when I'm working under my trees. Haven't had a redbug bite me in a couple of years now.

Now if it's on the ground all bets are off.

.....Alan.

o

I sent Spanish moss to a friend in Cinci who wanted to grow it in a hoophouse off his upper deck. It's growing like crazy, and he used some in a tropical planting in the garden this summer. The stuff loved the Ohio summer heat and humidity. He's planning on the same treatment through this coming winter.

girlsaylor

o

Whats a hoophouse? And Spanish Moss will grow anywhere where it is hot and humid...for a while. It'll die at about 10 degrees.

o

Alison, I am curious about one thing. Do you have any nearby trees with moss? Usually if you don't see it in a tree it's because it doesn't like that particular area. Sometimes it's really weird. We have an oak with a rope hanging from a limb. The rope has had a big wad of healthy moss all up and down it's length for as long as we have lived her. that's about 13 years. But there is not a dab on the tree nor any in our other trees.

I have always heard that it won't live on a healthy tree. I wonder if that's true.

o

It's not that it won't live on a healthy tree. But it does better in the improved sunlight and air circulation of a tree that allows more of that in to the bromiliad. Hence, sickly trees may end up with flourishing SM!

o

My daughter lives in Charleston so I brought home a bunch to try. I live south of Charlotte, it lived in my trees long enough for the birds to transplant it in my neighbors trees making nest. My neighbors came over to tell me, just in case I would think they had taken the moss. Yeah, right, don't think they would have climbed 100 feet into the air and put it in their trees. Everytime I go to Charleston, I bring home a big hand full and put it in my Crepe Myrtle. It stays there about a week before the birds take it off for nest. Hallngarden

o

Wilmingtonislander,

A hoophouse is just a greenhouse, of sorts. It is a walkout from their second story bedroom, constructed on a balcony. They heat theirs in the coldest part of winter, and seem to grow all sorts of tropicals in it. Everything goes outdoors in the summer there, then back into the hoophouse for the cold months.

girlsaylor

o

AHhh...you learn something every day if you aren't afraid to ask the question! SOunds cool.

o

• Posted by COBB 8SC USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 11, 04 at 14:37

Interesting that some can transplant s. moss. I have brought some home from the park three blocks away. Tried it in an old camilla and the live oaks. It keeps jumping off. Just won't stay in the trees. Thought it might be because I live closer to the marsh, but a friend took some up to his place in the Charleston neck area and it jumped out of his trees also.

o

I have got an experiment going. I have transplanted SM from Va Beach to my home in Williamsburg Virginia. I placed two clumps in two bald cypress trees in the back yard and a clump in a young loblolly pine in the front.

Also put a clump in a natural setting in a swamp behind our property. I have noticed an increase in all of these clumps over the summer and have watered them down in the morning on less humid days. Now that the winter is coming I plan I keeping the humidity high by giving them a bath when able and keeping the ground moist underneath the tress.

I will keep you updated.. No birds have taken anything yet but time will tell.

Any thoughts or tips to help this SM experiment?
Thanks

o

SOunds like a good one and one with lots of chance of success, seeing as you are only "moving them" a very short distance away from their native habitat. If memory serves me correctly, there are some stands of native spanish moss in the creek "bottoms" around Williamsburg anyway.

o

I grew up in S.Louisiana, now live in SC near Augusta GA. As others have indicated, Spanish moss needs HIGH, high humidity. I don't see much of it in my area except on a few trees on the banks of a few ponds; a hundred feet away from the ponds there's no moss at all on any tree. Obviously the microclimate near the water suits it well. So unless your climate is consistently humid it might not do so well.

I have heard that the name comes from the fact that the moss is found in roughly the areas the Spanish explored on the eastern N.American continent--coastal Carolinas through Florida and Gulf coast.

o

I've heard a similar, but different explanation. The Indians thought that it looked like the Spaniards' beards, and so the name stuck. And you are absolutely right about the need for high humidity for them.

o

I'm in Coastal SC and have no Spanish Moss on my live oaks! I can't figure it out. I've considered a late-night raid on the trees down the road.

o

Please do it if you like. It'll most certainly "take" where you live. I have transplanted lots of moss from broken limbs after windstorms from my mature Sand Live Oaks, to a 14 foot young "true" Live Oak that was planted when I moved in my house. Its definitely grown and taken off.

o

Williamsburg update on Spanish Moss. We are flirting with a freeze fairly soon and I understand the ability of the moss to handle it i will be watching closely. I have seen significant growth in the moss over the last month or so and I will continue to give a mist when humidity drops, not much I can do about the temp. Just a note when visiting VA beach today I saw the moss did not have a real preference as to the host tree just the proximity to the water source seemed to be the limit. All over holly and Cypress and even pine. Thought I would see a pattern but did not. Wilmington islander I have not seen any moss in the creek bottoms around here if you have any specifics I would love to find out.

Thanks for reading everyone. updates as we go into winter!

o

Whats the name of that "natural area" or state park where some famous Revolutionary battles took place? Take a walk down there...also, go anywhere near the "Great Dismal Swamp" in SE VA and you will think you are in Savannah or tallahassee.

o

Spanish moss in Memphis, TN.

You can find it in Memphis, if you look hard enough. Occasionally people have some in their yards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish moss in Memphis, TN

o

How long have you had it transplanted there? With the general warming we have experienced, i wonder if it will ever "take" and start to naturalize that far north? The furthest north I have ever seen it naturally in the Delta is in extreme southern Coahoma County, MS, south of Clarkesdale. It is very "spotty" from there until you get down to Sharkey/Issaquena counties just north of Vicksburg where it starts to get "thick" and much more common. Memphis has plenty of humidity for the stuff..just watch out for those occasional horrific blue northers...thats what kills the moss IMHO. Dry and cold in combination is what does them in. Good luck and post any other unusual/tropical stuff you see in Memphis...I for one, will usually know which street.neighborhood you'll be talking about!

o

Wilmington, way back in this thread you mentioned a native stand in Delaware! Where exactly is it? I've been trying to track down any spanish moss that may be in Maryland ever since I noticed a recent state issued map of the state mentioned it as being a native plant. I've tried Battle creek cyprus swamp in calvert co. (southern maryland), but there was none that i could find. There's a cypress swamp on the border with delaware on the eastern shore that I have yet to check out.

o

http://reference.allrefer.com/gazetteer/C/C12652-cypress-swamp.html
The above link is for Delaware. The one below is MD in case you weren't aware of any there.
http://calvert-county.com/cypress.htm

On a personal note... It's just not fair that you have swamps and so much harwood forest and so much of that can still be enjoyed and not overrun by invasive species. It's just not fair!

o

I believe that looking for SM in Maryland or Delaware is not going to happen. I have also seen reference to SM in literature ( woody plants of Maryland)that claimed that there was SM at the Pocomoke river but not in modern times. I have visited Calvert county, southen delaware i.e. trap pond and the pocomoke and never had seen any moss. Plenty of cypress and reserection fern but no SM. I live in Williamsburg and have only seen moss as far north as VA beach, Dismal swamp and surrounding areas. Plese let us know if anyone has proof that Seashore state park AKA first landing in VA beach is not the northen most spanish moss stand!

By the way my transplaned moss in Williamsburg is doing fine even after a cold snap and 14 F one morning. It's 66f and humid today, gotta love the temp roller coaster... Happy Holidays....!!!!

o

I haven't seen it myself, but FLneedstrees was kind eough to post the reference I was referring to.

o

We recently had an article in the paper about SM. The writer said that it needs an average 63% humidity area. He pointed out that this could be in an area that was damper than a nearby area because of air currents, etc. Cold air doesn't hold as much moisture as warm air, so perhaps it is the actually the humidity rather than the temperature that controls the growth in some areas.

o

Hey, this is my first post; i'm glad i found an interesting topic. I currently go to school at USC in columbia, sc and i have noticed that spanish moss grew along the banks of the congaree and in the nearby swamps just east of town. About a year ago i went to first landing state park in va beach and brought back some moss to my home just outside of richmond. It has grown well in some of the oak trees around our property, although the clump that i put in a holly tree has died. I also noticed that birds like to take it, which is kinda annoying. I plan on bringing back some more next time i visit va beach and try to grow it around a pond on our property to see if it presents a good microclimate.

o

I personally saw a large, thick, native stand of moss in Delaware many years ago - in the early 80's. I had moved to the Eastern Shore from the Lowcountry so I was certain it truly was Spanish Moss. If my memory serves me correctly, this was well east of the Trap Pond area, although I do remember some being there also. Maybe between the Selbyville area and the beach? Isn't there a wetlands in that area????? With all the growth there now it would be a miracle if that moss was still around.

o

I find this interesting on many levels. For some reason this makes me think of a fraternity brother of mine at UGA who was from Delaware...and would get bent out of shape because so many teased him as a "yankee". He would adamantly state that people from Delaware WERE NOT YANKEES. All this talk of the spanish moss makes me think he was right. Happy New Year everyone.

o

Wow, who would have ever thought a thread about Spanish Moss would be so interesting? I just opened this thread today after noticing how many post it had. I had no idea S.moss would grow as far north as Delaware nor as far inland as Memphis, humidity or not. Very cool!

Does it seem to anyone else that it is more common in older neighborhoods with mature landscapes? My neighborhood has lots of very large, old live oaks but was otherwise cleared until about thirty years ago. We have almost no spanish moss but an older (as in a hundred plus year old) neighborhood a half mile away is loaded down with it. Those older neighborhoods are much shadier which seems like a negative when it comes to Spanish moss. Just seems that shady, dense-canopied neighborhoods have more s. moss.

I think I may have to try to transplant some!

o

While there is apparently a stand of native moss in Delaware, there are no native stands in Memphis.

o

I like Spanish moss, too. You don't have to have the perfect spot, you can cultivate it. I used to grow it in south Florida on a tree with lots of other bromeliads. I sprayed water over the tree weekly (if it didn't rain) and added 1/4 strength liquid fertilizer solution during the growing season. The Spanish moss grew so well, I had to thin it out a few times each year just to see the other bromeliads. A friend of mine in the Bahamas cultivated Spanish moss on small hoops of wire and used clothes pins to attach them so he could move them around. Earlier comments are correct that the plants need good air circulation and sunlight.

o

I have found the map that I saw earlier that mentioned spanish moss in Maryland. It is the 5th edition of ADC maps Maryland and Delaware street map. It has a blurb about the diversity of Maryland and proclaims that the state contains "vast riverside stretches overgrown with spanish moss". This is extremely perplexing. Either they are very confused or there is some river on the eastern shore that we're all forgetting. Worcester county is the only county that lists tillandsia usneoides as a rare or endangered plant on its official list, so perhaps we can limit the search to just that county.

o

A fact that I find interesting is: Pensacola Fl. is on one side of Perdido Bay, Lillian Alabama is on the other side. Pensacola has loads of the stuff all along the bay, but here on the Lillian side we have none. Some of us have carried it over to our side of the bay, but it seems to just dissapear. For one thing the Blue Jays love to line their nests with it.

o

This is an interesting thread. I wish I'd begun reading it earlier.

I don't know if this is the truth, but I recall someone telling me there was a blight on SM in South Carolina back in the 1970s which wiped out the moss in some areas and it has been slowly returning. Which explains why there's not much moss in some areas, even though the climate is suitable.

o

I've just found this site & read all these posts and thought you might be interested to know that I have had a couple small clumps of spanish moss growing from a fruitless mulberry tree in Southern California for 3 years. It hasn't grown in size much, but is beautiful and flowers every year. I just ordered 10# of it from Florida and plan to hang it from a very large locust tree in my yard. I also grow tsilandsia. We have some humidity and hot summers with usually mild winters, but it's not nearly as humid as in FL or GA or SC, etc. Anyway, I enjoyed your posts and hope my new shippment will adapt well.
Jodi

o

You all have made me so homesick!!! Jodizbird..I guess we never know unless we ask but what does the flower look like?
I just think the moss is wonderful..cannot grow it in Middle TN. but I sure have some of it under glass, etc..
but would just love to hear how and when it flowers??

o

I know this thread is old. But I hope I can add some information that I have not only come across but also learned first hand.

First, Spanish Moss is a beautiful, wonderful, and mysterious plant.

Second, SM is more moisture dependent than temperature dependent. I think we established that already. I live on Kent Island, an island in the northern Chesapeake Bay, and I have had Spanish Moss on my loblollies (southern pines) for years.

Third, birds love SM when it is not found abundantly in their ecosystem. They will take it and run. I have replenished my SM several times from Va Beach, NC, SC, and even GA.

Fourth, SM grew once but is now classified as extirpated (if that is the right word) or extinct, in Maryland. I have never seen it anywhere in Maryland except on my pine trees and I did put some near Ocean City Maryland once on route 90. Not sure if it is still there.

Fifth, I never saw the moss in DE though I lived in Ocean City, MD for many years (very close to this area). I am not saying it wasn't there. I did look for it though. I read that it was historically present along the Pocomoke R. in Worcester Co. but is now gone. Along Route 54 in the cypress forest, no moss can be seen.

Sixth, I am aware of the northern Cypress stands in DE, Calvert CO, MD and Worcester CO, MD. I have been to these areas and the bald cypress even grows on Kent Island where I grew up, though planted. But the presence of cypress doesn't indicate the existence of Spanish Moss.

Seventh, it is all about microclimate. Moisture does it for SM.

Eighth, DE was a border, slave state so some Delawareans take offense at being called Yankees (see previous post). Most of DE was agricultural but by the time 1860 rolled around, there were less than 2000 slaves in the whole state. I digress.

In my analysis.....Spanish Moss will grow where it doesn't presently thrive but it needs moisture, warmth, a host tree with nutrients, and good air.

Further, where live oak live occur naturally....Spanish Moss does (to VA Beach) Where Alligators live naturally, sabal palms do (About Wilmington, NC) See the trend? But trends aren't static. Hence my sabal and needle palm as well as my loblollies full of moss on Kent Island, MD.

o

I must be the only person on here who wants to get rid of the spanish moss. I have 5 acreas of land with mostly oak trees on it. Not the live oak, but scrub oak, or as my daddy puts it water oak. I'm not sure the exact type myself, just know their not the live oaks. Anyhow, these trees are covered in moss! It is taking over everything. I have a lot of dogwood trees, but you wouldnt be able to tell come spring because of all the moss on them. I pull down what I can reach,(thank goodness the moss I have doesnt have the red bugs, been here for 2 years now and havent been bit yet!) but it doesnt put a dent in it. Does anyone know a way to get RID of it?

o

This is in reply to the fellow from Kent Island Md. I agree 100% I have had SM on a pair of Bald cypress in my back yard in Williamsburg and they do just fine. Birds steal it and I replace what is taken. I have noticed that in the northern part of the range of SM that the moss clings to the trunk of specific tress that slough off the nutrients. Cyress, oaks, even rough barked pines. Anyone who wants to see a great example go to Va Beach.

I have some die back each year with SM but recovery is full by the end of summer. I am from MD and have never seen it in the Pocomoke or Trap pond area or anywhere north of Va Beach. Would love to know if there is a spot outside of seashore St Park AKA 1st land that SM grows in Virginia.

I was thinking of trying ball moss that I have seen in FL next but this maybe pushing it!

Thanks for the read Kent Island.

o
Spanish Moss & Palms-Indiana

Interesting blog...thought I would let you all know that I transplanted spanish moss from Florida to my home in Evansville Indiana two years ago and it flourished. In fact, I noticed that it is now in my neighbors tree (assuming that the birds re-located it). I have also grown windmill and dwarf palmetto palms here outdoors without any problem. Everything has survived 0F with only minor burning to one of the windmill palms.

o

Spanish moss grows in several areas in Virginia Beach. It grows in Seashore State Park (now called First Landing State Park) in abundance and also on Knotts Island in southern Virginia Beach. There used to be more that grew throughout the area, but development has cut back on their habitat. Other then the Dismal Swamp in neighboring Chesapeake/Suffolk I do not think spanish moss grows (at least as a native plant) north of Southeastern Virginia. There is a stand of native sabal palms in an undeveloped area of Virginia Beach between the sand dunes. It is called False Cape and it was reported in the local paper. Also alligators live in Tyrell County North Carolina, which is about 60 miles south of the Virginia line... much futher north then Wilmington.. they are not as big.. but the live in the Alligator River

o

Ran accross your article regarding Spanish moss. I think it occurence is
sporadic(especially at its northern limits) due to
inadvertent or intentional introduction, but locally
abundant in the deep south. I can tell you for sure
that it can be found in the Seashorepark in extreme SE
VA just north of NC and it is present in the cypress
trees of the Chicahominiy river from James city county
(the mouth of the river) up to Hanover county (just
north of Richmond). The presence varies from year to
year, but I have seen it and it is well known. I
think it varies with the winter, the warmer/wetter the
winter the more you see. South of Fredericksburg VA
it doesn't drop below freezing to often and if it does
it is not consistent enough to freeze over any large
body of water. Big snows are very rare from Richmond
south and east. In fact, below is a Va. Game Warden, Greenlee, refering to where you can find it in the swamp (Va. Game and Fish digest excerpt). I have personally seen it on that river as recently as 5 years ago just east of Richmond on the outskirts of town in the New Kent/Hanover/Henrico area:

"At the mouth of the Chickahominy River anglers can
use Riverside Park (formerly Powhatan Resort), which
is a James City County owned ramp. The Brick Yard
Landing is in the middle Chickahominy River and offers
anglers a chance to run upriver toward Walker's Dam.
There are plenty of weedbeds and lily pads, sloughs
and backwaters with standing timber that hold good
crappie angling. And it's a scenic trip, complete with
Spanish moss.

For more information on the Tidewater Region, call
(757) 253-7072."

o

How fast does Spanish Moss replenish itself? Here in New Orleans, Katrina blew away most of what was hanging around. There's just little patches here and there that will hopefully repopulate the city. I would transplant some fram Lafayette but I'm worried about unintentionally transporting a bug or disease in. We have enough problems here without adding a new fungus to the mix.

o

dmason - when have you seen spanish moss on the chickahominy river? I just spent the last 2 years living in Richmond and have spent a lot of time on the river for pleasure and work research and never saw any moss along it, and ive been on parts from the Mechanicsville turnpike crossing all the way to its mouth in james city/charles city. Lots of nice cypress trees, but no spanish moss to be found. I agree the weather warms quickly as you travel south of fredericksburg, it was a pleasantly warm supprise seeing that my home town is only 70 miles northeast as the crow flies, but a good 4-6 degrees colder on any given winter's day.

I've tried transplanting the stuff to southern maryland, it didnt totally die, tho it would look rough every winter, but be followed with new greenish grey growth and yellow flowers in the spring, alas the birds do love the stuff and its all but been pilfered.

I also lived in salisbury for 4 years and did lots of recreation and research along the pocomoke from southern delaware to near its mouth, and have been to the wildlife refuge near roxana/bethany beach in southeastern delaware, and again, no spanish moss. Unless someone can physically show me where it exists north of first landing park in VA beach, then that is where i believe it to have found its northern terminus.

Richmond may have mild winters, but virgnia beaches winters are another 4-7 degrees warmer than those of Richmond thanks to the bay and ocean.

o

interesting. I have Spanish Moss in the oak outside that occasionally migrates over to the small palm tree or big clumps of it will hit the ground... I just pick it up and throw it back in the ree. neat that so many people like the stuff - it ievokes wonderful childhood memories for me!

o

When we were in Lancaster, South Carolina (just southeast of Charlotte), I seen several trees that were heavily draped in Spanish Moss. I remember telling my dad I was suprised to see it that far north. Also at this point though we were seeing a good deal of palm trees.

I live in Bristol, TN and have Spanish Moss growing in some of my trees that came from Florida. I have some of it in my Willow Oak, Bald Cypress and some on a Leyland Cypress and a little on a Southern Red Oak. I will probably have to bring it in this winter, as we can sometimes have "record lows" below 10- which would be 15 below average for us, even in the coldest part of winter.

I even have Live Oaks growing here, which have done very well, but they are not large enough for me to drape the Spanish Moss in them yet.

o

Very cool thread! I know this thread is OLD now, but Im just curious if anyone here who tried to grow it in areas outside of its native range, succeeded in doing so? I love the stuff, and have grown it here in NoVA along the potomac, but alot of it did get pilfered by birds. Its been a couple years now, and the last I saw of it there was still some at that place ( I dont live there anymore) but it didnt look terribly healthy.

Anyway, hopefully some who were updating thier "experiements" with it will update us all again.

FYI, Im from MD just outside of DC and have traveled extensively in DE/MD/VA, and I do not recall ever seeing any stands of it, except for extreme SE, VA. I believe its possible it could grow along some of the big lazy coastal rivers on the eastern shore of MD/southern DE, but perhaps the frigid cold snaps of the early to mid 80s really did whatever was left there, in.

Anyway, great thread!!!

o

I live in Columbus,MS and I have for the last 4 years had some SM in my back yard in our Oak tree. It seems to be doing very well and has spread through out the tree. Even with cool temps in the winter it still seems to do good here and I dont live near water.

o

Born and raised in southside Virginia but moved to Mobile in 1976 for work. Love it here but still miss Virginia. I return each summer to visit family. I have always been interested in southern plants native to Virginia and in particularly spanish moss. When I come up for a visit I always try to find spanish moss growing naturally in the state. The 'Digital Atlas of Virginia Flora' list moss as native to the following places in the state: Va. Beach, Norfolk, Suffolk, Cheasapeake, Isle of Wight Co., York Co., Northampton Co., and Southampton Co. Supposedly there are natural populations of spanish moss in those places. Except for Va. Beach, Norfolk, and Lake Drummond in the Dismal Swamp, can anyone tell me where I can see natural populations in these other places. Simple directions would be helpful as I am good at finding locations. Thanks

o

Gasp, but if you do need to kill or "thin out" spanish moss, spray it with any fertilizer that has COPPER in it. It leads to death in all bromeliads (of which SM botanically is).

Also, could y'all venture to the FLorida Gardening forum and help put this one nut in her place insisting that SM is a fungus and it's the reason live oaks in the lower portion of hte peninsula are dying (and not the droughts)?!!?

o

Well, I don't know how it got there, but I'm delighted to report that there is some spanish moss hanging in the four or five live oaks they have at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC. There's not that much of it there, but there is some in each tree. The live oaks themselves are only about 10-20 feet tall, and are actually planted quite close to each other, which might be a problem as they get older, since it's such a wide tree when mature.

I'm guessing that someone has purposefully put the moss there, but not sure if it's the arboretum staff or perhaps some enterprising spanish moss lover that transported some up from the south!

o

my horse LOVED to eat moss, it was a treat to him!!

o

I reside in Va. Beach, yes, near bodies of water (First Landing SP, NW River Park, Back Bay, etc.) the moss can be seen on trees in the area, though don't get very far from water before it's gone (the live oaks and magnolia's still thrive a good distance from the coast. Dismal swamp in Suffolk and Chesapeake has lot's of trees that it hangs from as well. Moved bakd to SE Va. in 2010 from SW Fl (Lee county), now that's real SM territory, the stuff is everywhere, your front porch if you're not carefull!

o

growing in chesterfeild county about 30 min south of richmond

o

I live in Austin, TX, and we appear to be near the western edge of where SM grows naturally. We have plenty of ball moss, but SM is very rare. However, there are a few big oaks on the western approach to downtown that are pretty full of it, and given its appearance and location (between busy intersecting freeways), I think it grew naturally and wasn't transplanted by anyone. Once in a blue moon, I'll spot some while driving in the Hill Country, but it's never lush and could well have been transplanted.

I'm curious if anyone here knows how far west into Texas it's found, e.g. has anyone ever seen it in creeks or rivers far inland?

Also curious if anyone has seen it in Arkansas. Years ago I remember seeing a tourism commercial for Arkansas with a swamp shot of cypresses full of the stuff, but have traveled much of southern Arkansas and never seen any.

o

I live in coastal Delaware. One of my neighbors discovered a few small strands of Spanish Moss growing in his crape myrtle tree this past summer. I assured him it was native to our area, but not very visible in nature as it grows more singularly rather than big mossy clumps.

As far as Delaware's geographic classification, its definitely not Yankee, especially not in southern part of the state. Nascar, rebel flags, Wednesday night bible revivals, red necks, cypress swamps, grits, collard greens, and black eyed peas on New Years Day. A Border State in the Civil War, Mid Atlantic, North End of the South East, but NOT Yankee.

o

Question. How do you know if Spanish moss is alive or dead? The moss in the trees looks the same as the moss that fell to the ground which looks the same as the moss bought in bags at the store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here