Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When & If to dig up Caladiums

Posted by kaye620 z8bGA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 16:09

I'm in the Savannah area, zone 8B. Do I need to dig up my caladiums this winter? If so when? Thanks for your help! Sandra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When & If to dig up Caladiums

I don't have any caladiums but my guess is you don't need to dig them up in this climate since elephant ears and gingers seem to make it fine thru' the winters-(at least in my yard on the Islands.)
People don't respond much on this site I've noticed!
Best wishes!

o

Hi, Caladiums should make it if you mulch them heavy. We are in Augusta, Ga. and our Alocasia/Colocasia, and Caladiums return with about 2"-3" of heavy mulch, i.e. tree bark or 3"-4" of lighter mulch, i.e. pine straw, hay, etc.

o

I think the problem in the Savannah area is that there is enough moisture in the ground in some areas that the tubers rot over the winter. Some might make it, but most won't. I would dig them right after the leaves droop and keep them dry.

The usual thing is to treat them as annuals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here