Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phollings_gw

Creating a wildflower meadow on a near-beach lot

phollings
21 years ago

I want to establish a mixed wildflower meadow in my front yard at Wild Dunes in South Carolina. The soil is fine sand and it's extremely hot and dry in the summer. However, it's not front beach, so I don't have to contend with blowing sand or saltwater.

Gaillardia and Oenothera has been naturalized very successfully in the area, so obviously these are candidates. But, what other species would you recommend? I tried broadcasting seed in early spring but got few survivors. Should I assume that it was due to the drought and try again? If so, where could I get a suitable bulk seed mix? What do you think of growing seedlings (here in Atlanta where I live most of the time and can watch them) and then setting them out in late fall?

I'd be grateful for any advice, particularly from anyone who's succeeded at this!

Peter Hollings

Comments (12)

• Nigella
    21 years ago

Hi Peter, I've been waiting to see if someone more knowledgable than myself would answer you. Since you've gone so long without a reply I will chime in and advise you to run a search on Google for native plants that enjoy these conditions. I will also clue you in on something that just astounded me, sometimes the seeds to those wildflower mixes don't come up for 2 or 3 years. One plant you may wish to try is beach morning glory, Ipomea stolonifera.

• miSago
    21 years ago

try sowing your seed in autumn

• nandina
    21 years ago

Peter,
    I have been thinking about your question. Planting seed in the fall is the best way. My approach, now, would be to start driving the back roads and collecting fresh seed from the roadside 'weed' plants that have struggled in the heat to survive. Many of them are just coming into bloom, such as the native Liatris and goldenrod, so it will be a while before they set seed. And, as you find them, sow them. There really are some beautiful weeds to be found and the seed is free. Some of it will establish and reseed every year. Some are perennial. Right now, the stores are selling out their out-of-date seed packs for pennies. Look for: Gazania, Anthemis tinctoria, Guara, Baptisia australis, Helianthus simulans, Asclepias tuberosa, Solidago types, Ruellia Brittoniana seeds. Many of the ornamental grasses will grow in your situation. These are easily available at Home Depot, etc. I would suggest that collecting and fall sowing your own fresh seed is probably the best method.

• AMAZING_GRACE
    21 years ago

Peter: I also live on IOP and have had trouble getting certain things to grow. There is a Garden Club on IOP that meets the 3rd Thursday of each month at the Exchange Club 7:PM. Most of the members have lived on the Island for years and are very successful at gardening in the salty, sandy environment. I would suggest you get in touch with them. They have been an invaluable source of information to me. You can get their information from the IOP city web site. Good Luck

• Blooming_annie
    20 years ago

Just stumbled across this post and although am a wee bit tardy, I thought this might interest you. On Sullivan's Island someone has sown a wildflower garden on an empty beach front lot. If you want to see it, (and it is definitely worth a gander), take Station 26 towards the beach and then turn left. The lot is fronted with hedges so is easy to miss but I think it is the only empty beachfront lot there.

Hope your own experiment went well!

• beetlebob
    20 years ago

Dewee's island used to sell there own seed mixture. Do not know if they still do or not. They have a land sales office somewhere. Try them

• gardninlady
    20 years ago

Gazania does very well at the beach...
    So does mexican petunia (ruellia), crocosmia & rudbeckia.

• beetlebob
    20 years ago

One of my customers work at Dewees Island and She told me that they have a mixture that they use. They also sell the mixture to people that are interested in doing there own meadow> so call 843-886-6624 ext 13 and the nice lady who answers will tell you what to do to get it. I do not know what the price will be but they are not a retail outlet so it will likely be some form of donation to continue on with the project.Happy planting

• Brigitte_MiamiSprgs
    19 years ago

we have a cabin near gainesville, fl and i've put 'native' wildflower seeds in fall, in spring,and several times inbetween, and in different areas. result: 0
    we've prepared the soil by raking it and tamping the seeds in. Also i've put hollyhock seeds out for 3 years now, at different times of the year. result: 0

perhaps the fireants thought it was food, or because we didn't water (we are not there often) the Fla Dept. Transp. does it on the side of the road and it comes out great, i'm sure THEY don't water miles and miles of roadside!

any ideas? in the meantime i've quit and will try again when we move there. I did learn here (Miami) that even native plants really appreciate water, at least until they are 2 years old.

• shanklemsw
    19 years ago

Peter,

Plant your seed where it is going to grow permanently. You may want to get Dr. Richard Porcher's wonderful book, A Guide to Wildflowers of SC. Also, SC DOT gives away packets of the seed mixture they use in the highway medians. You may also want to tey some native sweetgrass. Good luck!

Sue In Mt P

• WesleyAnne
    18 years ago

I know I'm a little late (haha) on asking, but I am also trying to start a wildflower meadow on a coastal lot (on Bald Head Island, NC). I am new to gardening so do you suggest any soil preparation for wildflowers? Also, can I plant anytime throughout fall or should I plant in a specific month or late/early fall? Thanks!

• kumquat12
    18 years ago

It will act as a groundcover and a flowerbed at the same time.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions