Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peabee4

Evergreen Azaleas

PeaBee4
19 years ago

I've been to the Azalea Forum and I have Googled sites, but I can't find what I need. I am not interested in the native azaleas either.

What I would like to have is a site that shows PICTURES of the SOUTHERN favorites, those that do well in the Deep South and Coastal areas. I am trying to identify some that are growing and doing well nearby.

Just about all the usual sites are for places much cooler than ours. There also seems to be a lot misimformation as to what will do well in zones 8-9. Do we have any new varieties that will take the heat?

Now, we know that azaleas do well here....We can prove it every spring.....Right? Right!!! We have zillions of tourists that come down to ooh and ahhh over the spring azalea display. So when I read an authority stating how this, that or the other won't do well in coastal areas, I figure that he/she doesn't know much about azaleas in our part of the world.

Also, if you have names of any nurserys that specialize in our azaleas within driving distance of the Georgia coast, I would like to know about them. I want to put some in now without waiting until Spring to see what color they are.

Thanks

PB

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    19 years ago

Here's a site with some of the most commonly planted Southern Indica azaleas. There are hundreds of other evergreen azaleas that do well in your area, though....thousands! The link below describes the main groups, all of which do well in your part of the country, given the proper location.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-629.html
    Evergreen Azalea groups

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Indica Azaleas

• nandina
    19 years ago

PeaBee,
    Did you Google using "southern azaleas"? All your questions will be quickly answered if you do that. In the meantime, any azaleas sold in your local garden centers including the box stores will thrive in your climate. They all carry the southern azaleas, usually of the indica variety. Just select healthy plants and you should be on your way to plenty of spring color.

• PeaBee4
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The box stores have plenty, but this time of year, they aren't blooming and I want to know what colors I am getting. Not all pinks go together. Nothing is worse than a lavender pink right next to a salmon pink.

Nor am I happy with their labelings. I always thought that Formosa was a magenta Indica. However, I see White Formosa, and Red Formosa. Am I wrong? I have also seen one labeled "Kurume Indica" That isn't helpful!

Thanks rhiso, those pictures are just what I needed. I found an ID for one I was searching for right away.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

The types of azaleas that do best in the Coastal South are indisputedly the Indicas. However, I saw on the link that "Pride of Mobile" wasn't on there and I had always assumed it to be an Indica as well? At any rate, Pride of Mobile has a wonderful color and is well suited to our sandy, acidic soils with long summers and short winters.

• PeaBee4
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi W.I. Isn't "Pride of Mobile" a red? I had forgotten that name too.

I think that the one I was trying to ID was "Duc du Rohan" I don't recall ever seeing that one in the stores, but I a going to look. I want to mix it with some of the whites that I already have.
    PB

PB

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Yep its a purplish red. I hadn't heard of the cultivar you are seeking either...but good luck. It looks wonderful.

• Datawgal
    19 years ago

I had not heard of or seen Duc de Rohan either, perhaps it is more common in the South Central region??? However, it looks very much like the Pride of Summerville which should be readily available along the coast.

Beware of the big box labels. I bought six G.G. Gerbings at HD in Sav. last year and when they bloomed four of them were Formosas.

Does anyone know if the camellia nursery in Savannah (Gene's ?) carries azaleas?

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

You might want to consult a nursery that specializes in azaleas instead of the big box.

Yes, there is a Red Formosa. It's almost a burgundy.
    Not sure about a white formosa, but George Tabor is a sport of Formosa -- palest pink with a darker blotch. Lovely. My MIL always said Pride of Mobile was harder to grow. She had Judge Solomon, a lovely clear pink indica and Formosa which is more purplish and George Tabor.

Here are three of my favorites: the white was bought as 'Delaware White' -- I suspect that it's really something else. (Mrs. G. G. Gerbing is the white indica that is seen frequently around here, H.H. Hume is popular too; this could be Hume.) The darker pink is 'Pink Ruffles' and the lighter pink is 'Pink Pearl.' I like the hose in hose cultivars with the smaller blooms. They don't grow as big as a bus the way the Indicas do, but they're lovely.

{{gwi:1246724}}

Nell

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions