Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Farm - Savannah

Posted by ccl38 8A Savannah, GA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 04 at 10:09

The Bamboo Farm had it Fall Festival on Saturday. There were things for the kids to see and do and lots and lots of plants for sale. I had been once before but Saturday was the first time I bought plants. I came home with a car full. Actually I only bought four but they were huge. (Nice variety and good prices.) If you live in this area, I would enourage you to attend next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Farm - Savannah

Sorry I missed it again this year...2 years running for me now. I read the paper everyday and watch the locasl news a couple fo nights a week and didn't see it...though I did know that it was coming sometime.

o

Do they have a spring festival as well? I went by there this year and they told me they do not sell plants ever...I guess they failed to tell me they have a festival when they sell them!! :-/

o

We are going over to Savanna to spend the Holidays with our children, and planned to stop there for some Bamboo. Are you saying that they do not sell plants? I really want a clump bamboo, and figured "The Farm" would be the place to get one.

o

Nope. No sales that I am aware of. It is a research station.

o

• Posted by ccl38 8A Savannah, GA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 15, 04 at 10:33

WannaB,
There was some bamboo for sale at the Fall Festival. (Although it may have been from another vendor, I didn't ask.) They also had various banana trees that they would dig for you. The other plants were from different vendors, some local, one from Florida, one from South Carolina. There may have been others I am not aware of. If I wanted to purchase bamboo, I would call and ask specifically if and when they offer it for sale. Enjoy your holidays in Savannah :)

o

If you call there they might be able to give you the names of the vendors that sell at their Spring and Fall festivals. Some of them are "local". I think they actually had a brochure listing names, locations and phone numbers.
They told me that, as a state funded research station, they can't legally compete with a retail operation. It makes sense.
Good luck in your search.

o

Thank you both for the info. I will be sure to check it out. Even IF we can't buy any of the Bamboo, our son tells me it's a cool place to visit.
WannaB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here