Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeribelle_gw

overwintering kent mango in savannah

jeribelle
20 years ago

Ok, got another one that I am unsure of. Will a kent mango survive outdoors through a Savannah winter? It's potted presently.

jeribelle

Comments (9)

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm not sure but I don't think it could take a heavy frost. And we still have heavy freezes from time to time. How much damage would three or four nights of temps in the 20s and lower do?

I think you would be gambling on that one. We might have another mild winter, but I am not betting on it.

PB

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

PB, you are like a virtual horticultural encyclopedia! Thank you for reading my incessant posts and providing me the benefit of your gardening experience!
    jeribelle

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

jeribelle, you are giving me too much credit. My gardening experience is limited. It's just that I have lived my entire life, and that's a long long time, in Savannah and I know what kind of winters we have. We are unpredictable. So the rule of thumb is, if it does well in Florida, it's might make it here, maybe, sometimes, once in a while.....And do you want to take a chance. LOL

And then there's that Global Warming Thing and El Nino.

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

No mango will live out of doors here for an entire winter; maybe once every 6 years or so, but a fully mature mango will die completely at 26 degrees, and younger ones at even warmer temps. Now, there are a couple of avocados that will here, and lots of other cool subtropicals, but not the deliucious mango :(

• jeribelle
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Ah, thanks for the news. I'll keep it potted and bring it inside for the winter then. But as it's grown from seed and not a grafted tree, I don't expect the fruits, if ever I succeed in getting them, to be very tasty, anyhow. Just wanted to see if I could grow it; they are attractive as potted trees, regardless.
    jeribelle

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

Yes, they are very attractive trees. Unless you have a "dwarf" mango, it isn't likely to thrive as they are naturally VERY large trees. Have you considered cattely guava? It is evergreen, has delicious fruit, fragrant flowers, nice, peeling bark ( think crepe myrtle), is perfectly suited to containers, and best of all, is hardy to 22 degrees so you should be able to leave it out 364 days a year!

• ccl38
    20 years ago

Wilmington Islander you have piqued my curiosity. What kind of avocado will live here and how do I find one. Will the plants grown from the supermarket seeds grow here? Thanks.

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

CCL38: You should look for the 'Mexicola" in particular or "Mexicola Grande". There is also the "Gainesville". These will be fine until @ 18 degrees. There is also a ( don't quote me on the name of this one!) a "zuerte" or something or another that is reputedly hardy to 16 degrees, but you will more than likely, never find this one. You should be able to find the "Mexicolas", however. The fruit is described as very, very good. It is a "mexican race" avocado and its leaves will smell like anise ( licorice). It is a "california type" ( small, rich) and not a "florida type" ( large, watery, a bit blander). If you get one, plant it on the South side of your house, but not too close, as these are pretty big trees. Where in SAV do you live? If you are on one of the islands, and like avocados, I highly reccomend this. Inland, away from tidal water influences, I'd hedge my bets a bit more by mentally preparing myself to protect it , probably once a winter, most winters. Many online nurseries will have them, or you could probably get them from a "brick and mortar" retailer in jacksonville. Online, you will probaly have a few choices. Good luck!

• dcaprg
    19 years ago

I will be trying a Mexicola Grande in Pensacola (near the water) -- try the link below if you haven't found one yet:

Here is a link that might be useful: Clifton Nurseries

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz
More Discussions