Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baccharis halmifolia or Rodney Dangerfield

Posted by pheobuscottage 7b VA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 04 at 14:29

Why does this beautiful tree/shrub get no respect? Baccharis Halmifolia (grounsel tree, sea myrtle, or saltbush) is featured in "reference" books for southeastern Virginia. Unlike other native plants, this is one that actually I see in the wild all the time. I only recently found out its name, and that it is related to the Asters and Senecios. It grows alongside wax myrtles in marshy roadside areas, especially near bridges in Norfolk, Va. Beach, and Hampton (we have a lot of bridges around here). Right now they look really showy, because of the fluffy white fibers on the fruit/seedheads.

Colonial Williamsburg (which always has great native plants) is the only commercial nursery which ever seems to carry it here. Why does a beautiful, broad-leaved, salt-tolerant, native shrub/tree get no respect???? Is it more popular with nurseries in the Carolinas, GA, or FL???

I was thinking of buying it, but I would love to have more info on growing it in a garden. I would love to know whether it has been included in any coastal gardening books (garden-oriented rather than encyclopedia or field guide).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baccharis halmifolia or Rodney Dangerfield

Bir mentions it in "Growing and Propagating Showy Native Woody Plants," but qualifies the inclusion with "...only because of the numerous questions I get [asking to identify the floss flowered plant]."

He says it's usually used in wetlands or the edge of wetlands and goes on to say that it could be used to create interest where diversity is desired, growing to 10 feet tall.

It isn't mentioned in Southern Living's Garden Book. I've never noticed it in local nurseries. It's plentiful along the east edges of the dry woods here, reaching around other trees toward the sun. I sometimes prune it back from the field road.

Nell

o
RE: baccharis halmifolia or Rodney Dangerfield

It is plentiful around here although, like you have mentioned, it is not seen in the nurseries. Perhaps because it is considered more of a weed as it does reseed everywhere.
Recently I have noticed some that have been limbed up into a tree form and they are extraordinary right now, just dripping with white flowers. Hmmmmm, maybe I will keep some of those seedlings.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here