Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pheobuscottage

baccharis halmifolia or Rodney Dangerfield

pheobuscottage
19 years ago

Why does this beautiful tree/shrub get no respect? Baccharis Halmifolia (grounsel tree, sea myrtle, or saltbush) is featured in "reference" books for southeastern Virginia. Unlike other native plants, this is one that actually I see in the wild all the time. I only recently found out its name, and that it is related to the Asters and Senecios. It grows alongside wax myrtles in marshy roadside areas, especially near bridges in Norfolk, Va. Beach, and Hampton (we have a lot of bridges around here). Right now they look really showy, because of the fluffy white fibers on the fruit/seedheads.

Colonial Williamsburg (which always has great native plants) is the only commercial nursery which ever seems to carry it here. Why does a beautiful, broad-leaved, salt-tolerant, native shrub/tree get no respect???? Is it more popular with nurseries in the Carolinas, GA, or FL???

I was thinking of buying it, but I would love to have more info on growing it in a garden. I would love to know whether it has been included in any coastal gardening books (garden-oriented rather than encyclopedia or field guide).

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions