Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs for the Coastal South?

Posted by bobthescgardener z8b SC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 10, 06 at 22:38

What Spring bulbs work well for the Coastal South? Paperwhites and Giant Snowflake seem to come back year after year but are there others that can go the distance as perrenials? Are there any Daffodils that work well for the Coastal South. Does anyone have experience with species tulips in this region? Any luck? What about Alliums? I just got a few bulb catalogs in and am eager to try something new but I am bit hesitant. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs for the Coastal South?

I've had luck with the species tulips. You have to plant them where they will stay pretty dry throughout the cooler months. Just ordered some more from the Riverbanks Zoo Fall bulb sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riverbanks Zoo

o

According to Barbara Sullivan in her "Garden Perennials for the Coastal South",(excellent book btw), the following Daffs work here-Abba, BridalGown, Cheerfulness, Sir Winston Churchill,Telamonius Plenus, and Yellow Cheerfulness for double flowering ones. St.Keverne is a good large cup choice.

o

There are clumps of amaryllis in the yards of older houses all over town here in Mobile. I just now transplanted a good-sized patch that started from four or five bulbs a few years ago. Mine are red with the white throats, not my favorite, but I've seen big drifts of pure white ones here too, and clear red. They bloom in April here, but then you have to put up with the big floppy leaves all summer and into fall. They need good drainage and seem to do better in at least partial shade. My neighbor has a traffic-stopping group about a yard in diameter under her water oak.

o

Give crinum lilies a try, they are a stand-by that can be found around many old home places.
Lynn

o

Ipheon and similar small bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here