Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need shrub help

Posted by DayByDayByDay 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 23:23

Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help me. I am looking for a shrub for zone 8b that meets these requirements:

1) Round in shape with no pruning

2) No more than 5 ft in circumference and 4-5 ft in height

3) Likes moist soil

4) Gets a lot of morning sun and little to no evening sun

5) Is an evergreen

I've found shrubs that fit this description for northern zones, but no luck for 8b. I've included a pic of what I'm trying to do. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need shrub help

Not sure how moist your soil is. If it is really wet, I'd go to my local garden center and ask for something that has "swamp" in the name. If it is normal soil, rosemary, holly fern, and farfugium have a roundish habit, rosemary looks something like the bushes in the picture. Also depends on the sun factor, 4 hours of morning sun would probably be too much for the shade lovers. Almost anything (except plastic :) will need a little pruning from time to time. Some types of loripetalum might stay tidy, they have dwarf varieties. Likewise some kinds of the dwarf nandinas. I have a cleyera that is pretty round looking and only needs a couple of small branches pruned back every now and then. Schillings always seem to be round, they may be smaller than you want, but there may be other kinds of dwarf yaupon holly that are well behaved. Also, the saw palmetto bushes seem to stay fairly low, and grow in sun and shade and swamp....Good luck!

o
RE: Need shrub help

Thanks, Jaymo! You've been a HUGE help.

I looked up every plant you mentioned, and in doing so, I stumbled across a new one that I like: Dwarf Global Japanese Cedar.....very pretty.

I do think the Schillings Dwarf Youpon Holly is for me. I like the smaller 4' size over the 6' since these bushes will be in front of a taller bush/tree.

In Mobile County, it's an unwritten rule that you never put Saw Palmettos in the ground here -- they spread and will take over like kudzu. Dauphin Island is inundated with them and they look great in a natural setting, but I wouldn't put them in the ground in my yard.

I absolutely love the Dwarf Nandinas too -- I may put them in the backyard.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here