Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange tree question

Posted by Ralph31558 z8GA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 05 at 23:35

My orange tree has been in the ground for the last 3 years,this year was the first time it gave a good amount of oranges.Its only about 4 ft high and about that wide.they are suppose to ripen some time in feb. I cant seem to remember the name.Im finding that some of the fruit is starting to have some black showing on the skin,its not rot,just a discoloring of the skin.can someone tell me what this is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange tree question

You might want to post this on the citrus forum. Those folks would have the answer for you.

o

Sounds like Sooty Mold. This is not injurous per se to the plants, except that if it gets thick enough it can reduce the amount of light getting to the tree. It will cover both tree and fruit. It is a mold that grows on the honeydew excretions of certain insects. You can control the mold by controlling the insects. Valencia oranges usually ripen in Feb. They are one of the more cold sensitive oranges.

o

• Posted by Laaz z8b SC (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 20:23

It does sound like Sooty mold caused by scale. Ants usually farm the scale as well. If it is in the ground I doubt it is a Velencia orange in zone 8. Are you sure it's not a Mandarin ?

o

I have had my Valencia Orange tree for seven years now. This year it is near 7 ft. high and has about a dozen and a half of fruit on it. Last year was it's first year to have fruit, but Ivan blew them all off. Tag says the fruit ripens in April???? But we notice they are starting to turn orange in color now. We do have it in a very protected spot. Oh, we are five miles inland from Orange Beach Alabama.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here