Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Live Oak Pruning?

Posted by alison_charleston Z8 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 19, 06 at 10:08

Can anyone recommend a good company to prune my live oaks?? or one to avoid!
They are very old I can only assume and are in desperate need of pruning to remove the dead wood. Plus I want them to be ready in case we have a storm next year..hope not. I can live with another storm free year as this one was! :)

thanks!
Alison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Live Oak Pruning?

Van's Tree Service is excellent. Also, the Super Garden Heroes from the call in garden show. Paul Mulkey is the guys name, but for some reason I can't remember the name of his business.

Will look for it & come back.
Just make sure that you use only a certified arborist who is bonded.

o
RE: Tree Clinic! Doh!

The Tree Clinic...

Sometimes the gray matter turns to jello. sigh!

Another one that does alot of work on James Island & Folly is Budget Tree Service. Good luck with your live oak. They are such majestic trees, aren't they?

o

I would avoid any non ISA certified tree company; any climbers that use leg spikes to climb healthy trees; and any company who tries to sell you services that you don't need or want. The attached fact sheet might help you make a good decision. I've learned that, with arborists, you often get what you pay for. Experience, education, good equipment, and great employees have a price tag associated with them.

o
RE: Live Oak Pruning 2

OOps, I forgot to add the link!

By the way, I don't feel good about making negative comments about the people or companies mentioned above, but I sure have had bad vibes from one of them!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hire a GOOD arborist!!!

o

Thanks for the info...I have 2 of them, giant live oaks that it.
They span over my house and both of the neighbors houses.
I am just interested in getting what is hanging over my house right now. Not as muchthe yard.
they are so huge that im sure it will cost several thousands to do the entire tree. cant afford that right now.

I do love them..it is almost acorn time. I kinda like hearing the acorns fall on the roof for several weeks..not so much fun to almost break an ankle slipping on those little buggers though!

o

Did you have any luck finding a good company? We're on James Island and have a HUGE gorgeous Live Oak in the backyard that is in desperate need of a good pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here