Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedogsmom_gw

Good perennial nurseries in Charleston SC area ?

threedogsmom
20 years ago

I am looking for mainly hostas, but any quality/reputable nurseries in the greater Charleston area..... Thanks !

Amy

Comments (8)

• Blooming_annie
    20 years ago

My favorite is Hyams on Folly Road on James Island. It is a stunning nursery with great, healthy plants, very helpful employees, well-maintained, and a huge assortment of pots, fountains, bird baths, etc. And they usually have some hostas. You'll love it!

• Micimacko
    20 years ago

I second Hyam's. They always have something, or rather, a lot of, unusual and new plants.

An other very good one is Cross seeds on route 61 on the right side of the road if you come from Historic downtown. They are quite close to the downtown area, across the bridge. They have almost everything that Hyam's has and sometimes plants that are already sold out at Hyam's are available at Cross seeds. Cross seeds a bit less expensive but the difference is not very dramatic.

A third good one is on route 17 north in Mount Pleasant, just before you enter Charleston coming from the north on 17th. I do not remember the name of this nursery; they are a bit more expensive than Hyam's or Cross Seeds.

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

I think you are referring to Abide-a-While Nursery in Mt. Pleasant. All three places are worth a trip to Chas.

• Blooming_annie
    20 years ago

You are right, Abide-aWhile in Mt. Pleasant is another good one. It is right around the corner from me and I check in there frequently. Didn't suggest them because they have almost nothing in the perennial and annual areas right now. Hyams has a better suggestion at this time of year although no one has much.

• beetlebob
    20 years ago

I am surprised that no one mentioned Legare farms nursey on Johns Island. Helen is the best person I have talked to about plants in this area and boy does she have a BIG place.Abide-a-While is expensive. There are several smaller places in Mt.P to look also.Try Growing Places by Wando high school and don't forget Lowes and Home Depot. It is like a flee market you never know what you will find and I have found some great plants there. Also alot of junk.

• Datawgal
    20 years ago

Beetlebob, I just went to look for your plant swap thread and noticed it has disappeared. Have you been "spiked"? A Lowcountry swap sounds interesting. Keep me in the loop. Ali

• beetlebob
    20 years ago

Trying to get post to stay on board but I am to dumb to know where to put it and the web master is no help. A good master would move it and tell me where so in the future I will know what to do. Am not good at the computer thing and am doing the best I can. Stay tuned.

• edacus
    17 years ago

Recently moved back to Charleston area and live downtown near the Citadel. Any suggestions for a fruit tree that would do well, we aren't in a frequent flood area.

Sponsored
More Discussions