Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy_ritchie

hibiscus overwintering

Randy Ritchie
20 years ago

I have a few of the generic hibiscus here (from Walmart), the reddish ones, that are blooming beautifully right now. Should I bring them in for the winter, or can they make it through the winter here on the islands? I had one a year ago that I thought was dead, so I threw it out, roots, soil, and all, and then in the spring, the 'dead plant' started sprouting new growth, so I potted it back up, and it's blooming again. So...what do you folks do?

girlsaylor

Comments (4)

• howdymax
    20 years ago

I'm not sure about Savannah, but here on Oak Island, NC we cut them back around Nov or Dec and they always come back full and healthy every spring. You're a 1/2 zone warmer than we are, so you might get away with over wintering. But if they brown out, just cut them back, mulch them, and wait for them to sprout in the spring. You can also grow them from seeds you collect after they flower. I don't know what variety you have - I don't even know what variety we got. We also picked them up from Wal-Mart and they told us they were Chinese Hibiscus. But what do they know in Wal-Mart. This was our 3rd year and they are still doing fine. Good Luck with yours.

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

You are talking about the Tropical Hibiscus, aren't you??

I have mine in the ground in a protected place next to the house. If we have a mild winter, they will do just fine. When we are expecting a freeze, I cover them if I remember them. Some years, they don't die back at all. Last year, the freeze took them back to the ground, they sprouted back in the spring and are blooming now. We have been here 12 years and this plant was here when we moved in. It has to get down below freezing to bother it. We are like you, it has to get down below 30 in town before things freeze here. A few years ago, we had two or three years in a row where we didn't have a single freezing night in my yard. It didn't die back at all and I was treated to a huge bush covered with blooms. Just wonderful!!!

Some varieities are not as hardy as others. The common red, which is probably what you got from Walmart, seems to be one of the hardier ones.

Those in pots are more likely to freeze when it gets that cold.

It's a most enjoyable plant for me. I think that too many treat it as an annual and toss it each year because they don't want to wait on it to bloom. It's quicker to buy new ones already in bloom. Plus, it is a matter of size. It it doesn't die back, it will get too big for a pot.

I swear, if you keep it up, we are going to make a southern gardener out of you yet!!!

PB

• wilmington_islander
    20 years ago

I concur with peabee...last year they went to the ground, but mine that were left out are bigger and better than before...also, the "tree" form can easily be clipped back, pulled up, and kept on the dry side in your garage and it'll act like it was hibernating...I did that with one last year and it grew twice as tall...I waited for the forst hard freeze to dessicate it for me, then cut it basically back to the trunk so it wouldn't take too much room, kept it from drying out, and planted it St. patty's and had blloms by May...the one killed to the ground bloomed it's first around memorial day. They are winter hardy here, and I was away for that 2-3 years of no freezing, but heard about it from friends...said their yeards and plants loved it and just went crazy! I love the island and it's microclimate compared to Southside or Midtown Savannah...cooler in summer, warmer in winter!

• Randy Ritchie
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the responses, folks! I've had some computer problems lately, which are hopefully resolved. I'm leaving those hibs out for the winter.

girlsaylor

Sponsored
More Discussions