Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forest Pansy Redbud - Any Luck in Panhandle?

Posted by anahita z8 FL (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 03 at 16:23

Before I buy one of these guys, I thought I would see if anyone in/around Santa Rosa County has had good luck with them. I would like to plant one under a new stand of river birches to provide a "dappled shade" canopy, but have noticed lately that river birches in the area seem to remain quite sparse throughout the summer.

tks

DN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forest Pansy Redbud - Any Luck in Panhandle?

• Posted by Pcola z8 NW Florida (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 11, 03 at 13:23

Hi DN

I live in the area and have a few river birches. They seem to take a few years to become established. And they do lose leaves in the heat/drought of the summer. I read they are native to wet areas such as rivers and lakes, so I think they need extra water when they are in periods of low rainfall. I don't have experience with redbud, but I believe they do well as understory tree similar to dogwood.

o

Okay, I'm not in the Florida panhandle but would guess we are in a pretty similar climate. My area is 8B/9, humid, sandy soil, mild winter, long summer, etc. I planted a Forest Pansy in pretty much full sun this July and it grew so much it was truly freaky. The leaves retained their purple color up until about a month ago when they turned green and some started looking ratty but that's the season, I guess.

There are several Forest Pansys planted in my area in full sun and they all seem to be doing well. In fact, one place has them planted in the medians in their parking lot and they look great.

My neighbor has one planted in the dappled shade of some pines, it has hardly grown at all in two years, and the leaves lose their purply tones. She has regular redbuds nearby that thrive in the same conditions.

I LOVE mine and so does every one else who ever sees it. To me, the dark foliage is visually refreshing mid-summer when the sun is so intense your eyeballs ache.

Try it, you'll like it!!!

o

Thanks guys - I'm going to give it a try, and water, water, water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here