Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs

Posted by eileenie 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 24, 06 at 7:16

I have bulbs cooling in the fridge. When do I plant these to get spring blooms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs

After twelve weeks, they need no further chilling, they're just holding. I chill mine from 10-12 weeks.
Fewer than 8 weeks and your tulips will be, as Steve Bender puts it, chipmunk corsages (short stems).

Nell

o

Mid-Late January would be the ideal latest date to plant BUT if you need more chilling time, I supose you MAY have some luck if planted by February. You need enough root development before the ground temps rise in the spring.

BOB

o

OK, thank you! I'm assuming with the recent warmup to high 70's and low 80's I should try to wait at least until it cools back down to normal winter temps? These are daffodils and I read in a southern gardening book they don't need chilling??? That doesn't seem possible unless I want them to bloom for Christmas! We're from the midwest and all this is new.to us. I am seeing bulbs in Wal-mart now, (summer and SPRING bulbs) but did not know if that meant it was planting time since they had mums in full bloom in their garden center in early August....it wasn't long before they looked pretty crispy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here