Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savannarose_gw

Building a Fence

savannarose
19 years ago

Would anyone in the Savannah area be able to recommend Lowes or Home Depot for building privacy fences? I know there must be decent private contractors out there but have not had good experiences dealing with individuals. Either they mess up-or if they're good at what they do, you wait forever to get on their list.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

I would suggest contacting a nursery and ask them for references.
    They would know a reputable contractor who can do the hardscaping related to gardening...

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

You can backchannel email me for more info....I've had several, fences done.

• savannarose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Still waiting for a referral....thanks!

• coastalsav
    18 years ago

I know this is an old question, but if you don't have your fence yet, did you try Sears? They used to have a fence program.

• savannarose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses. Haven't tried Sears but will keep them in mind. Does anyone know about zoning restrictions regarding picket fences in front yards on Wilmington Island. I don't see many in the subdivisions and wonder if zoning's an issue?
    I'm really tired of people walking through my yard!
    P.S. How hard is it to build a fence yourself? I'm real good with a post hole digger.

• SUSANDALLAS
    18 years ago

Fences are quite easy to put up yourself. Are you using chain link or wood? I put up chain link over 2 acres of my property & I am in my fifties. If you don't mind a little hard work, it would save you a ton of money to do it yourself. You can pick up fence building instructions for free at Home Depot or Lowes. I would never pay anyone to put up a fence. Most of the cost is labor.

• PeaBee4
    18 years ago

Unless you live in one of the subdivisions like Olde Town, I am pretty sure you can put in a fence. some of the newer vinyl ones are quite nice if you don't want to keep up the painting. They do show mildew, but you can wash that off with bleach water. Would it make your house look odd in the midst of your neighbors? If so, maybe some other kind of casual rail fence would block your walk-throughs.

• savannarose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses and ideas. How do you check for the property lines? Do you actually need to hire a surveyor? Permits....? We used to live way out in the country where you could build just about anything and noone cared much. I bet it's a bit different here.

• mlwschultz
    18 years ago

Vinyl fencing is easy to install yourself & comes in many different styles. There's sure to be one that fits the style of your house. I think the general instructions are to place your posts, then install the sections, but it's easier to put in a section, then the post to be sure it's in the right place (rather than putting in 2 posts & finding out they're too far apart, etc.).

What about a living fence? Can you plant a border of shrubs that will block the inconsiderate walkthroughs?

• savannarose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the living fence idea but I don't think it would survive the skateboards!
    I'm still trying to find out about permits, surveys, etc.

• drasaid
    18 years ago

and the skateboarders won't survive IT.
    (thorny blackberry, Mermaid rose on a trellis, Quince, Pomegranate, An Evil Holly, the list of blood drawing greenery goes on and on

• good_gardening
    18 years ago

E-mail me and we will discuss your fence off-line.

• Hitori
    18 years ago

D.I.Y. !! i almost got a contractor to do my privacy fence. i had to do some unexpected and very expensive sprinkler system problem fixes at the same time which used up like 2/3rds of my fence budget. so i didn't want to wait so i decided wtf i will do it myself! i went and boughht the premade sections of privacy fence they sell @ HD. they are six feet tall with last foot being lattice and eight feet wide. super easy to put up. put up posts and then just screw the premade sections to the posts. it looks great, its sturdy, and the price per section is only 61 dollars. u can't build them yourself that cheap!! i saved myself alot of money, and now i know how to put up a fence. i can't imagine every paying someone to put in a small fence ever again. if i had to do like ten acres of fencing, then thats a different story, but if its a average size yard, then go for it!!

-Hitori

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

If you don't know where the property markers are I would definitely have it surveyed.

We just had our done last year. A nieghbor - who doesn't live here - just owns property next door - started stirring up problems with those of us who do live here. Lots of conversations about what tree, fence or road was on whose property etc.

I immediately contacted our bank to recommend a good surveyor and had it done. Those 'concerns' were squelched immediately.

On other pieces of property I have owned I have set the fence anywhere from 6 inches to two feet inside my property line. This way no one can claim any rights to alter my fence... or grow anything on it.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions