Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamarph

Help with Oleander Catapillars

bamarph
20 years ago

Has anyone had any success with killing the catapillars that are devouring our oleanders? My beach house is in Orange Beach,Al and the contractor planted oleanders around our pool. I have sprayed 3-4 different insecticides on them to no avail. Picking them off by hand and then either smashing, drowning or lighting a funeral pyre with them in it has been the only thing that has worked. They will strip a 5 foot plant in 24-48 hours.

Comments (7)

• miSago
    20 years ago

I can't remember a worst year with these critters in my 13 years here....

sorry no help here, except to 'repeat spray' every 5-7 days

this year, I've totally stopped using them in ANY of my landscape designs...and oleanders will forevermore be omitted from "my" plant 'recommendation list'
    (prior to this year, they weren't a concern as a 'problem plant', because their flowering advantages outweighed the 'possible' caterpillar damage disadvantage)

not any more
    oleanders are on my (photinia(red tip) do-not-use-list

• Dorie_in_Alabama
    20 years ago

Suggest trying Bt instead of chemical insecticides which may be doing a number on the numerous beneficals that can help control your pesky caterpillars. Bt needs to be sprayed when the cats are young for best control.

Bt is readily available and has been used successfully to control caterpillars for generations. Bt will work in conjunction with birds, parasitic wasps, and other predators without harming them.

• Butterflyer1966
    20 years ago

I know, you probably won't like my comment, but why being so cruel???
    Have you ever seen those beautiful POLKA DOT MOTH's???
    The OLEANDER will grow back, it is not like they are going to eat the roots... Well, they are welcome in my garden and I am glad, other garden members, especially the BUTTERFLYERS are my opinion... We are welcoming every caterpillar, because we cannot wait to see the results when the butterflies and moth's emerges....
    Please consider, that they wanna live too.....
    :(

• Dorie_in_Alabama
    20 years ago

Butterflyer, that is not the correct observation when one is being plagued by a caterpillar species that gathers in large populations to devour ornamental plants overnight. Plants that are always in 'recovery' from a major defoliation.....NOT a healthy or happy situation, my friend.

Even with responsible control measures, there will be plenty of polka dot moths to go around.

It's our job to assist concerned homeowners in environmentally responsible methods of control. Allowing their oleanders to be eaten down to the stems is not an okay thing!!!

Have you not considered that the plants want to live????? Seriously, if you consider pest control a cruel activity, you need to stay away from those forums where humans are trying to protect beloved plants from too many pest insects. Reasonable control allows us to appreciate and truly enjoy insects. Insects that become true pests should not be allowed to develop into unmanagable population. That is not healthy for the humans, the plants, and certainly not the beautiful, fascinating, incredible insects.

• Butterflyer1966
    20 years ago

Dear Dorie,
    I need to apologize that I popped in your discussion..With BEING CRUEL, I meant, smashing and burning...the cats...
    I believe, having a pest like that in your yard is not very nice..I just watched a few monthes ago beautiful cats die(cramping and dying an awful death) when I put some insecticide out against ants... That stuff is not only eaten by the BAD ONES, it got because of rain in the ground and the vine, I planted for the Swallowtails sucked it up.
    Well, I wish all of you,and I mean it, a healthy gardening w/o the bad ones...

Good luck

• SprightlyGreen
    20 years ago

Wow!

"you need to stay away from those forums where humans are trying to protect beloved plants from too many pest insects".........

that's kind of harsh, isn't it?

"Insects that become true pests should not be allowed to develop into unmanagable population."....this easily applies to humans, too.

I didn't know GardenWeb had rules about who could give suggestions in particular forums!

It's always a good thing to give a different viewpoint to a situation. Some people will take Butterflyer's advice, because they hadn't thought about caterpillars in a good way. You can always "cull the herd", leaving on just enough caterpillars so the plants aren't defoliated, but you get the beautiful Polka Dot moths.

What about natural predators? I have so many green anoles, that I have trouble keeping enough caterpillars around to mature into butterflies! I WANT caterpillars, but my gardens are so balanced. I use NO pesticides and my gardens have more than enough predators.

My suggestion is.............STOP the spraying. You're killing off EVERYTING. It may take two years, but your predators should multiply. Also, try varying what is planted. If you have too much of one thing (this applies to all plants/trees) you run the risk of a single disease or insect wiping out an entire section.

So, this is a different viewpoint for anyone that is interested in what has succeeded for me. If you don't like it, don't follow it. Just don't tell me to stay away. (Spike, are you watching?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Just one of many websites about predators

• beach0117
    20 years ago

Try Dipel dust-seems effective and fast. Saved mine but it was a struggle. It is worth it tho when they flower

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions