Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dowlinggram

heat mats

dowlinggram
9 years ago

I start my plants under lights in my basement. I have a small heating mat but it wasn't big enough for all my seeds. This year I bought 2 large heat mats 20 X 48 big enough to cover the table I grow them on. It turns out that while the length is good they are too wide. Would it harm the mats to overlap them. Otherwise I'd have to let them hang off the edge and I don't think that would be good. I suppose I could put something on top to make the table bigger but space around it is limited but If I can't overlap them I just may have to do that. Advice please

Comments (9)

• loewenzahn
    9 years ago

I don't know about this but a guy in the local nursery uses electric blankets you usually put in your bed. I didn't do that because it seems unsafe to me.

• evelyn_inthegarden
    9 years ago

I would not advise overlapping heat mats, nor using electric blankets.

For years I used regular heating pads with no problem, and now my husband uses them to make warm beds for the cat outside in the cold. (I wouldn't advise that either!)

Every time I asked that question in a forum, I was asked if I was willing to take the chance of starting a fire with the heating pad, and I realized that I was wanting to take the chance of a fire stating. The same thing with overlapping heat mats...What were you thinking? They will get very hot, possibly melt the plastic, and who knows what else?

If it were me, I don't think the price of a proper heat mat, used properly would be as expensive as losing my home, or even having a portion of it burned.

• dowlinggram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I have found a solution. I have a few mesh plant trays. I will put them across the width on the part that has to be overlapped and a 2 x 4 0n the other end. I will attach a painted 1/4 inch masonite on top of the 2 x 4 and let it rest in the trays. This will raise one end up by a little less than 2 inches and the mesh trays should allow for the dispersion of excess heat. Since I have 2 light fixtures, side by side, with a 13 inch span between the fins of each fixture it should also provide enough light if 1 is a bit lower than the other. If it doesn't I can always cover the gap with mylar or tin foil.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

outside the box ... you could have them on two different timers... and switch them off and on... opposite each other ...

ken

• kmgreen
    9 years ago

Have you considered adding little 2 or 3 inch pots of seeds on the excess mat area? They will grow toward the lights but you can turn them easily. I'm always looking for more starting space.

• garf_gw
    9 years ago

That is one item we don't need here in Miami. Our seed starting date is just before the summer heat breaks.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Doesn't anyone sow all of their seeds in germination flats? I sow hundreds of seeds in each flat, and only use three or four for all of my needs. Thus, I need very little real estate devoted to bottom heat.

Once everything has germinated, the heat is unplugged, and the transplanting into cell packs process begins. I only grow 8 or 9 hundred plants these days, all transplanted into less than twenty cell flats holding 36 or 48 plants.

Once transplanted into the cell packs, all I have to worry about is light!

I strongly urge everyone to use heating sources meant for this purpose and NEVER heating pads or electric blankets. You've got heat mats of varying sizes or heating cables (my choice) buried in the germination flat.

I've attached a little slide show that illustrates this option. I'm using it only for the pictures and have nothing to do with the company. I've never done business with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: this might be interesting

• kmgreen
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link Rhizo. That was a good tip about Chamomile tea to stop damping off!

• dowlinggram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sow all my seeds in repurposed mushroom boxes. That way I can keep each variety and or color separate. 8 mushroom boxes fit perfectly in 1 tray but I usually have 3 trays full when I'm starting my seeds. I don't like to crowd the seedlings.

I do use Chamomile tea for damp off but I also use cinnamon which does the same thing.