Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyelizcrawford

Made a stupid mistake...need advice!

Amy
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Alright. So in my excitement to get all manner of plants started under my grow lights, I (get ready for it) sowed my seeds into peat pots. as you can imagine, I am now reading the various horror stories that come with the peat-pots and am experiencing the same issues (too dry, too moist, etc.)

All my tomato seeds sprouted yesterday morning. I am nervous to keep letting them hang out in the peat pots, but am even more nervous to transplant them at a tender 2 days old!

What do you think? Should I transplant them now? Will it work? And what type of soil should I transplant them into - a soil-less starter, or a potting mix?

Comments (5)

• macky77
    12 years ago

I might clip off the netting holding the peat together and then just let whatever is loose fall away. Take what's left of the tiny root ball that's there and nestle it gently in some starter mix and continue on like nothing happened. ;) As long as you're gentle, you can move seedlings of any age, in my experience.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

You can transplant them at any time. They are just easier to handle when they get a bit bigger. I'd just leave them in the peat pots for a couple of days - watch them closely - and then transplant them DEEP into plastic containers with any good soil-less potting mix.

The main problems with the peat pots - you did say pots rather than peat pellets right? - won't become an issue for a few days.

Dave

• Amy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, they are in peat pots. I will definitely transplant them in a few days into plastic containers- they are looking leggy even though they're nearly on the lights, and I can't keep the soil moist. I learned that lesson the hard way!

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Leggy plants are also caused by too warm growing conditions in addition to the lighting issue. 60-65 is the ideal once germinated.

Dave

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Peat "pots" - are not nearly the problem of peat "pellets". With peat pots, you are filling them with a mix of some sort, if you are using a decent soil-less mix, you shouldnt have a problem. People often use the wrong word when referring to the little expanding Jiffy pellets that all of the big box stores sell now - they are the problem.