Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cavemandave5

1st time growing tomatos from seed, advice needed on potting up

CavemanDave5
11 years ago

Plants are about 1.5-2" high. True leaves beginning to show. Currently in 3-4" cut paper towell tubes.

When should I pot up? I was thinking of using red solo cups with holes punched for drainage.

Do I try to shake off seed starting soil before replanting?

If I have multiple plants growing in same pot, should I allow both to grow?

Thanks for your time.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hi Dave - your original post of this question with answer is over on page 2 here. Since an additional week has passed since you first posted the question I'd assume it's even more important now to get them transplanted if they can still be separated. Otherwise you'll just have to snip off 1 of them.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: your original post of this question

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

And no, don't shake off the potting soil. Your aim should be to disturb the roots as little as possible even though you will have to slightly to separate them.

• CavemanDave5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for responding (digdirt - thanks for responding multiple times on different posts)!

I had a few hours of free time Monday night and I transplanted all 10 plants. I may have waited a bit too long as the roots had grown through the bottom of the cut paper towel tubes they were originally planted in. I was able to keep the soil together for 5 of them, the soil fell off the first one I transplanted and the two tubes with the multiple plants. I handled them carefully by the leaves (not the stem) and managed to keep the roots very intact.

They seem to be doing well, most have visibly grown since Tuesday morning. Anything else I should do or look out for?

Thanks again for helping me out with my new passion.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

If they weren't going to make it you likely would have seen that within 48 hours so it sounds as if all went well. How long until they can go to the garden?

Dave

• CavemanDave5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My "guaranteed" last frost is the beginning of May. I'm in South Jersey and the weather is still pretty cold here. I was planning on starting to harden them off in a few weeks hopefully if it warms up some. Also, I was going to make self watering containers for them instead of planting. I like the idea of the plants having water to take as they need and the freedom to move them around my yard. My garden got a little crowded last year.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists