Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digdirt2

If you use peat pellets - check out this discussion

digdirt2
15 years ago

Check out this discussion currently on the Vegetable Gardening forum. Photos of the problems with peat pellets.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: For those who use peat pellets (pics)

Comments (10)

• epic_laydown
    15 years ago

thanks for that link. I'm very new to seeding and just recently started seeding with those pellets. I'll be sure to remove the netting. I felt a bit sorry for the plant being restricted like that.

• ashncarson
    15 years ago

thank you. as I am on of those "newbies", who would like to learn more.

• jusme_newby
    15 years ago

I don't use pellets, but I did get roped into buying a couple of Jiffy peat pot seed starting trays. I have used the plastic trays before and had excellent results but the Jiffy pots do not seem to allow adequate moisture control. They are always too wet or too dry. I like to bottom water by putting about 1/4 inch of water in the tray after planting my seeds and keeping it at that depth daily until I transplant the seedlings. But the little peat cells seem to suck up the water that the soil mix should be getting and I have to add more and more water to keep the mix damp. Then, all of a sudden, the soil is WET and the pots are saturated. I have to stop watering to let the moisture subside but the soil drops off before the pot and the mix stops wicking.

How do I regulate the moisture in these things? Give me back my plastic 72 cell trays and I will be happy.

• rdback
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting this link Dave.

Folks, when reading the follow-up comments in the referenced thread, please keep in mind the intent of the original post.

If you use peat pellets, I suggest you remove the netting. If you don't, the photos show what can happen.

Just that simple. I'm not recommending or condemning peat pellet use. I'm simply sharing an experience in the hopes others can learn from it.

Have a great growing season!

Rick

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I am a very big fan of peat pellets. They grew my awesomely beautiful Cherry tomatoes this year. After 3 & 1/2 weeks, these plants are about 6 inches tall & 4 inches wide or so! =) They will be my best plants, for sure. Everything else started 1 week before them, not in pellets (in peat pots, mini-greenhouses, etc.) range from about 25%-40% of their size! Amazing. Of course, I removed the netting when transplating them. If I had not, I doubt i'd see as many roots as I do now on the sides of the 16 oz plastic cups they're in.

• rdback
    13 years ago

...just a bump for this years' plants. *smile*

Rick

• mori1
    13 years ago

Wish I had seen this last year. I grew a few seedling in them last year. They didn't do well. I just thought its was because they kept drying out. The ones that made it never really took off when I planted them. I didn't realize that the netting restricted growth. After last year, decided to use the coconut fiber pots instead.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

Now and then I use an occasional peat pellet. I clip the netting before I add water.

• obrionusa
    13 years ago

Us Landscapers call it Girgling. They do the same thing if you dont remove the wire baskets from the larger trees. They actually done some research on it at Ball State University here in Muncie Indiana.

• rdback
    10 years ago

...'tis that time of year.

Rick