Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhromeo

Successful Seed Starting Pics, Share yours!

dhromeo
11 years ago

I finally have the right tool for the job, and oh what a treat it has been. I have always been cursed with cloudy days through a window sill and insufficient light from 4' fluorescent bulbs.

Germination wasn't a problem now that I have purchased a 400W Metal Halide light, set 18" above the tops of the trays. A box fan set on low dissipates the heat well enough, and the tops of the trays reads between 75-82 degrees, depending on how far from directly under the light you get. I measured it with an infrared hand held thermometer. (not just for making sure your pan is hot enough anymore!)

I'm serious, this year I want my veggies to be ready for production *before* june, and last year I had hardly picked anything by the middle of may.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog/Journal

Comments (10)

• dhromeo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, crap, forgot to add, those guys are 18 days after emerging from the soil, 23 days after seeding.

The #1 piece of advice I can offer is to get yourself a pH test kit, and verify the pH of the water that you are using. The water coming out of my tap (after running through a brita pitcher to remove the chlorine) read at an astoundingly high 8.6 pH.. which is why I saw almost no growth the first week after they emerged.

Almost all of the above growth is after I added a pH downer, an acidifier to my water for them, or about the last 12 days or so.

• dbuchner
    11 years ago

Mostly my super hots. 25 varieties!!

• dhromeo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They look amazing, how far along are they?

BTW, I'm jealous of your shelf setup. Where did you find a shelf like that?

• thebutcher
    11 years ago

2nd year Vegtable grower here *but new to seed starting this year" and I saw my first sprout from a pepper plant (Burpee rainbow mix). This happened after 6 days since put in a Jiffy Peat Pellet.. I rigged my own heating source by using an old computer to put the Jiffy Pro seed starting kit on top and kind of trapped the heat with cardboard and a trash bag. I guestimate the temp to be around 75-80 F. I think this is accurate because the room temp is about 70 degrees and the bottom black pan from the jiffy starter is a bit warmer with heat that it is sitting on and come from the exhust fan..

Now out of the 12 I planted this was the first to spring up (more photos will follow).

Below is the photo below and... Today I put it under a jumperstart Hydrofarm light with out the protection of the plastic cover with my trusty GoPro and set a TimeLapse of a photo every 60 seconds. I will update this with a video time lapse soon.

This post was edited by thebutcher on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 19:43

• mswillis5
    11 years ago

This is from 1 month ago. I guess I need to take more pictures. Most have been transplanted since this picture has been taken. They are now all in my temporary greenhouse.

• mswillis5
    11 years ago

Here is my current picture. I guess I have a lot of starts now.

• NBenford
    11 years ago

This is the first year I've grown any seeds indoors, so it's certainly been an interesting experiment! I've learned from a lot of mistakes but I'm not giving up just yet.

{{gwi:227342}}Veggie Seedlings

{{gwi:227343}}Box - Top Shelf

{{gwi:227345}}Tomato

{{gwi:227347}}Sunflower

{{gwi:227348}}Sea Oats

{{gwi:227349}}Middle Shelf with Roses

{{gwi:227350}}Love Lies Bleeding

{{gwi:227351}}Lobelia

{{gwi:227352}}Lettuce Mix

{{gwi:227353}}Johnny-Jump-Up and Alyssum

{{gwi:227354}}Impatiens

{{gwi:227355}}Grow Box Contraption

{{gwi:227356}}Dianthus

{{gwi:227357}}Coleus

{{gwi:227358}}Cauliflower

Cabbage bg>

Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli

Alyssum

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• thinman
    11 years ago

I'm not a regular here, but I have a few pics of my seed starting setup. These are all from previous years, since it's a little too early up here in northern Michigan for most of my stuff.

This is my light rack. It has a fourth shelf that wasn't yet being used when I took the picture. The bottom shelf is for starts that like it cooler.

{{gwi:227362}}

A few flower plants --- don't know what they are.

{{gwi:227363}}

When the shelves get full, I start moving things out to my little (too little) greenhouse. It's not heated, so I move trays back inside during our frosty spring nights. These are all flowers of one type or another. This pic was taken in early May.

{{gwi:227364}}

I hope this gives you something to think about, good or bad. :)

ThinMan

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Its always fun for me to see other people's set ups. Thanks for sharing.

I started quite a few things early this year. Mostly annuals, but also salad stuff that I am harvesting about once a week, and a few slow growers like onions and asparagus.

this is my main set of shelves, which is a converted closet. the styrofoam boards over the lights are intended to increase reflective light

{{gwi:227365}}

A few of the little guys who are about ready to get re-potted - Impatens, Lisianthus, Petunias, and Coleus.

{{gwi:227366}}

I have a couple of more lights suspended over a table, which has my salad, and a few geraniums and asparagus.

{{gwi:227367}}

And another set of shelves where some of the taller plants have moved - mostly bedding sized Dahlias, with some begonia cuttings and a few different kinds of basil.

{{gwi:227368}}

I seem to have to add a few more lights every year - right now I have room for 36 standard flats.

• jduren
    11 years ago

Growing and overwhelmed.... Jack