Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noroom2grow

Multiple Sprouting in peat pellet cell. What to do?

NoRoom2Grow
12 years ago

Hi all..!

I have a 8 cell burpee peat pellet seed starter kit I got from home depot along with my 36 cell Jiffy.

The burpee has 3 of the cells already sprouting. 1 of them has 2 the other has 3 each stems coming up. They are actually already touching the top of the lid.

Is it time to thin and pot up? This just happened overnight.

Also, how can you tell which one is the strongest seedling? I plan on snipping off the weaker ones.

Comments (8)

• NoRoom2Grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some pictures to show you what I am talking about. Should I Pot Up? Are those "True Leaves"?

{{gwi:232260}}

{{gwi:232261}}

{{gwi:232262}}

{{gwi:232263}}

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Get the lid off the tray right now. As soon as anything emerges from the soil you should pull off the lid, or you will have a good chance of loosing your seedlings to damp-off.

Just keep the soil moist while you wait for the rest to come up. You can transplant at any time, but most people wait until the first "true ;eaves" - the first set are the cotyledon leaves.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Agree with all that mandolls posted above. It is very important that you get that cover off.

Here is a direct link to all the FAQs here. They cover all the basic how-to grow from seed info.

And lots of great info in all the other posts here too.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How-To FAQs

• Lorri_DK
    12 years ago

Yes, second that, take the lid off. I would keep the one that is the most straight and green. You want to go for short and stocky for the healthiest seedlings, so take scissors and snip away the ones you don't want. Then, when you replant, bury them to just below their cotyledons in your soil. They will grow roots all along the stem you burried and be a lot stronger.

• NoRoom2Grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Took the lid off as suggested. I hope they arent growing "leggy" as some have mentioned in these forums. How can I tell if seedlings are healthy?

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Are they tomatoes? You didn't say what seeds you had sown. These are already leggy, ie etiolated, in so far as they are rather tall for the stage of development and are leaning towards the light. As others have said you needed to remove the dome which excludes light as well as increasing humidity. You need to maximise the light they are getting and keep them relatively cool. The idea is to grow them 'hard' ie sturdy and slow, not encourage them to grow fast, tall and weedy through excess warmth and too little light. Other than being a little leggy they look perfectly healthy.

• NoRoom2Grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tomatoes, Bell Peppers & Yellow (Golden) Cayenne Peppers

I moved them by the windowsill hopeing they get enough light there.. I will try moving them outside durring the day to see if they develop better..

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I will try moving them outside durring the day to see if they develop better..

You will have to harden them off well before you can do that or it will kill them.

Plus even outside there aren't enough hours of sunlight this time of year to prevent leggy seedlings.

Dave