Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjd181

When to transplant

sjd181
11 years ago

Hello All,

This is the first time I have tried to grow seeds and I didn't do enough research before I started.... I planted my tomato and pepper seeds in one of those self-watering seed trays that you should have started flowers in.

So my question is simply this: What type of container should I transplant into once the vegtable plants start growing? I figure I will be transplanting into a small container and then into the garden. I "hear" that it's hard on the plants to transplant twice, but at this point I don't think I have a choice in the matter. Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

How big are the containers you planted them in? At this point in time, you could put the seedlings at an early stage into a 4" pot and they will be fine till it's time to plant out when the weather's warm, which should be in a month for you. You might even be able to plant out directly from your present container since it's only a few weeks and the plants will be small.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I planted my tomato and pepper seeds in one of those self-watering seed trays that you should have started flowers in.

There are many of these and all are different so please give us the measurement/size of the cells they are in for the most accurate answer.

As Susan said, transplanting (deeply if needed) in 4" plastic pots is pretty standard but depends in part on the size they are currently in.

Dave

• sjd181
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cells are 1 3/8 inches square and 2 inches deep. Its a Burpee seed starting, self watering kit with a plastic "roof." My seeds just started to sprout yesterday, they have only been in for 6 days.

I am growing them in my office under my flourescent desk lamp. I am not sure how long they can stay in the seed starter before I have to transplant them.

Silly question, but are these 4 inch pots the kind you plant into the ground?

• sjd181
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cells are 1 3/8 inches square and 2 inches deep. Its a Burpee seed starting, self watering kit with a plastic "roof." My seeds just started to sprout yesterday, they have only been in for 6 days.

I am growing them in my office under my flourescent desk lamp. I am not sure how long they can stay in the seed starter before I have to transplant them.

Silly question, but are these 4 inch pots the kind you plant into the ground?

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

You'll have to transplant them. 4" pots are any plastic pot/cup with drainage holes in them. Next year you can start them in bigger cell paks. At this point in the growing season, you can transplant them into 3" pots because you'll be planting them out soon. They sell these pots in packages at nurseries. Over the years you can collect a lot of pots and cell paks and reuse them.