Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

gnats and seedlings

njitgrad
10 years ago

This is my first year starting from seed and it is going very well so far. Since my seedlings are kept in my garage, I get my fair share of unwelcome winged critters every time the garage door opens. I noticed that since the weather here in NJ has moderated towards Spring finally, I am getting a lot of gnats in my garage. They just love to sit on the leaves of my seedlings under the growing lights.

Not a major issue I would think, HOWEVER I am also as a side effect getting a ton of gnats making into my house. Oddly enough, they are not hanging out in my laundry room or my office which are the closest rooms to the garage. Instead they are all the way on the other side of my house (through my family room) in my kitchen near my two light fixtures, a three-light chandelier and a fluorescent bulb fixture. A bunch of them keep landing on my kitchen table. Everytime I eradicate the swarm, a new one re-appears in 10 minutes.

The math just doesn't add up. Why are they no where near my laundry room or office? Even with the lights on in those room, there are zero gnats. They are not hanging out anywhere near food in the kitchen either. Only on the ceiling or kitchen table.

Comments (3)