Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panoply76

Pulp pots and more!

Panoply76
10 years ago

Hello. I am an amateur gardener trying to make it to novice gardener - these questions may seem stupid.

What is a pulp pot?

Is it a good time to grow from seeds flat leaf parsley?

I'm in my second year of butterfly/hummingbird gardening and need some suggestions. The soil here is very clay-y. This means it doesn't drain well, right? Also, might you recommend other plants that will help attract them, and feed the cats, that do well in clay-y soil? (sorry for the clumsy 'clay-y, don't have the word).

I've been told that dill is an annual, but I planted some last Fall and they're going gangbusters. I covered them during freezes (exceptionally rare in s. Louisiana anyway) and fertilized them. If I do this can I keep it an acting concern or will it die this coming winter no matter what (what i planted in Fall were quite small plants).

Thank You, Sincerely,

Jeremy & Colleen Bolan

Comments (8)

• mauch1
    10 years ago

I've had good luck with attracting butterflies with Tithonia (Mexican sunflower), but you need to plant it in groups of 3 or more (and each plant takes up a lot of space (and the plants have a strong orange,but aren't all that beautiful)). Zinnias will probably bring some b-flies as well. Both butterfly bushes (a shrub) and butterfly weed are aptly named, but I don't know if they'll grow in your area.

I rarely feed hummingbirds with feeders any more, but have found the following attracts them:
    Trumpet Vine
    Coral Honeysuckle
    Scarlet Runner vines
    Salvia (sometimes)
    Cardinal flower
    Impomopsis

I purposely brought jewelweed to my property as it is supposed to be a good hummingbird plant. It may be, but I have never seen a hummingbird approach one. It is a rampant self-seeder, and not that pretty of a plant (though the leaves are neat). The one mitigating factor is it is probably the easiest weed in the world to pull.

As to your other questions: I'm not sure what a pulp pot is exactly.

As to dill, I suspect you're going to see it go to seed, and then die. But dill often self-seeds.

Parsley? I do know its technically a biennial. I'd give it a try unless someone has better info.

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

The best thing you can do for clay soil is to add organic matter. The cheap nonclumping kitty litter is good to mix in with your soil first. Kitty litter is clay but it's baked clay so it acts much like vermiculite in that it separates and aerates clay soil. Parsley does not like to be grown in hot temperatures and it must be kept moist or it up and dies. I would start it indoors in your area and then set it out. or grow it in a pot under a tree.

Parsley is a biennial. It grows the leaves we use the first year. The second year the leaves get coarser and it sends up a tall dill-like stalk with seeds. I take those ripe brown seeds in fall and plant them. They come up as soon as the ground thaws in spring. In your area you'd have to experiment and maybe plant in winter. Just remember that it likes to sprout and grow in cooler weather.

Although in most areas dill is grown as an annual in your area Dill may be a perennial. Actually it is a perennial but won't survive in harsh winters.

There are many flowers that attract humming birds. They love our dark pink coral bells. Any flower that is a red orange or dark pink and has a tubular flower will attract humming birds

• Panoply76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! I SINCERELY appreciate it. It's funny that no one know what a pulp poy it. Perhaps I phone the manufacturer of the seed packet and get an answer from them.
    Y'alls advice was top notch. A lot of it I did know but what I didn't is PURE GOLD.

Thanks Again,
    Pano

• Panoply76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! I SINCERELY appreciate it. It's funny that no one know what a pulp poy it. Perhaps I phone the manufacturer of the seed packet and get an answer from them.
    Y'alls advice was top notch. A lot of it I did know but what I didn't is PURE GOLD.

Thanks Again,
    Pano

• Panoply76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One last thing: What online nursery is the best (reliable, good plants, wide selection)?

THANKS!

• EricaVee
    10 years ago

Pulp pots are those biodegradable pots that you can supposedly just bury in the ground with the plant. Some people have success with them, but they dry out quickly and take so long to break down that you're better off tearing them off before you plant.

• Panoply76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thankee Erica. I had suspected that but didn't see how that could work out very well and so belived it to be somthing else.

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

I've been researching Parsley recently and everything I've read says that it takes a really long time to germinate -- like a month or more. I normally grow from seed, too, but I decided to buy plants this time instead. Maybe next spring I'll buy a packet of seeds instead, but for this summer, I went for quick. :)