Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

good place to buy seeds online?

david883
11 years ago

Hello all,

Can anybody recommend a good place to buy seeds online? Somewhere you've all purchased from and had good experiences/results? I've collected some seeds and this year I bought a few seeds for lettuces and such (just from Home Depot or local nurseries), but I want a few I can't find anywhere. I bought some valerian and verbena/vervain (verbena officinalis) online earlier in the spring. I'm going to hold off on the verbena until next year (haven't decided whether to sow in doors or outside, yet) but I did try the valerian... NOTHING. I'm totally willing to believe the valerian's fate was something I may have done but I thought I'd get some referrals just in case.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. This is my first house and garden so I'm always up for advise/suggestions.

Thanks again!

Comments (27)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

For ornamental seeds I like Hazzard's, but I like Johnie's for vegetable seeds. Al

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

I've lost my link but there is a site with lists of many, many places to buy seed and some user plus and minus ratings.

Perhaps All seed and plant websites in alphabetical order might have what you want.

• lori_ny
    11 years ago

I love two places especially: Pinetree Seeds and The Sample Seed Shop. I've gotten very good germination rates from both places. I germinate in the house in damp paper towels in sandwich baggies- if the seed is larger than a lettuce seed and I can work with it:) So I see the germination rates visually. When I planted directly in the soil, the darn slugs and snails would devour the leaves in the dark as soon as they sprouted!

http://sampleseeds.com/?page_id=65

and

https://www.superseeds.com/

Save a few seeds if you do direct sow next yr and check the germination with the wet paper towel method. Then you'll know for sure if the seeds were viable!

• 2Bloom
    11 years ago

One of the best places to purchase annual/perennial flower seeds and a few vegetable seed varieties is swallowtail seeds. I have had only good luck with the germination rate of their seeds and their prices are not that bad either. Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail garden seeds

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

If you want a reliable place for a wide range of heirloom seeds -- vegetables, flowers, and herbs -- check out the non-profit organization called SeedSavers:

Here is a link that might be useful: SeedSavers

• YasSF
    11 years ago

I bought seeds in Turkey for long green Turkish peppers in normal seed packets at a large plant store. They were packaged the same way the seeds are here. They were confiscated at the customs in San Francisco along with a long lecture.
    Does anyone know why? Are we not allowed to bring seeds in packets for vegetables or flowers as long as they are not related to banned or poisonous plants.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

YasSF-
    You should start your own thread when you have a different question. It's not only best for getting more pertinent answers to your concern, but it allows the orignal thread to stay on target.

Having said that, I'll answer your question. The primary reason is that plants, seeds, cuttings, etc. that come in from foreign countries may be carrying diseases or pests that could cause big problems for our agriculture. This can be true even if you can't see anything wrong with the material or even if it comes in a sealed, commercial seed packet. Unless the material has a phytosanitary certificate that certifies the material complies with U.S. plant health standards, you can't bring it in. I had a friend tell me his mother-in-law tried to sneak a small herb plant in through Customs and got caught...and was assessed a $300 fine in addition to the lecture. So consider yourself lucky.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

And it isn't only with plant materials coming into this country, but pretty much everywhere.

• johnrenalds
    10 years ago

gardenbuddy all the way, they rank the seeds by planting zone so you can find what works in your area. Plus the selection is better than most, enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenbuddy.org

• flo9
    10 years ago

I've had great results from Bakers Creek heirlooms... except every white tomato seeds I've bought all comes out really yellow. I've tried several different types of their white tomatoes and all come out yellow. They're pictures are deceiving, but still taste great. I haven't tried to grow white watermelons etc yet. But as far as other tomato and different fruits and veggies all grew like the pictures they showed.
    They also give a free packet of seeds with your order and shipping is cheap. So far I like them best.

• rpxamkmi
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

These rainbow rose seeds are really cool http://www.amazon.com/

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    8 years ago

"These rainbow rose seeds are really cool"

And unfortunately you will never grow a rose like that. The pic is obviously photoshopped.

Rodney

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    8 years ago

Rpxamkmi, the rainbow rose is a joke/scam! I don't know why Amazon doesn't remove it. It's TOTALLY and COMPLETELY FAKE!

• garockgrower
    8 years ago

Many bad reviews at Amazon for the zinnia seed spammer.

• ubro
    8 years ago

It is frustrating to see these con artist have a place to market their junk. My advice is, if a new plant variety comes in a strange new colour see if you can find it on a reputable site. Chances are a good seed company would have snapped it up for their own sales if it was real.

I would hazard a guess they don't even germinate, that way no one knows the lie.

• CherylM Leiby
    8 years ago

Have you thought of trading seeds check out my trading seed list

• Susu
    7 years ago

I second Bakers Creek. Their website is www.rareseeds.com

• shawn b
    7 years ago

outsidepride.com and tradewindsfruitcompany.com alot of seeds for the money hard to find seeds anywhere up to $5 check them out most reasonable for the money and ebay

• Hilary Coles
    7 years ago

I third Baker Creek. I always say I'm going to try some place else, but I'm so happy with their seeds that I never switch.

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

shawn-

I couldn't get to Trade winds Fruit from your link. I presume this is the correct one:

Trade Winds Fruit

• shawn b
    7 years ago

yes it is

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

shawn-

Thanks...just ordered a dozen seed packs. Great selection, prices, and info on the site. And free shipping since I ordered over $20 :-)

• shawn b
    7 years ago

I did the same :) outside pride is another good one for quantity and to use for trades

• gvozdika
    7 years ago

Second TradeWindsFruit, great selection and affordable. Also, I buy from Nichols Garden Nursery.

• kareninthegarden4 (6b SE PA)
    7 years ago

I love, love, love SeedsNow (seedsnow.com)! In addition to nearly 100% germination and frequent sales, they almost always include free sample "kits" (got some free Little Gem Lettuce seeds, Rainbow Heirloom tomato seeds, and "Ace 100" tomatoes with my last few orders).

Furthermore, they offer $.99 "sample" packs of most varieties. I got some great varieties of peppers and tomatoes for $.99/each and they all came with about 10-15 seeds. Sample packs of tiny seeds like lettuce and arugula usually have a few hundred.

I also got seed potatoes from them this year - they came in GREAT shape, some eyes even already sprouted!

Totally organic and non-GMO, specializing in heirloom seeds. So much love for SeedsNow - highly recommend!!!

• rusty_blackhaw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Swallowtail Seeds continues to be a good source (I have had good results with their perennial offerings this year), along with J.L. Hudson and Chiltern.

Any seed company that promotes its "non-GMO" seed is being deceptive, as there are no genetically modified ornamental or vegetable varieties being sold to gardeners by anyone. It's a marketing tool by firms attempting to capitalize on anti-GMO fearmongering - and makes you wonder what else they're being dishonest about.