Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzmalik

Adding fertilizer once true leaves appear?

mzmalik
10 years ago

I have VERY RECENTLY just began gardening and contrast to what most might suggest, I planned my flower garden, with the flowers grown from seed. So naturally I lost MOST of my seedlings when they were very young to one factor or another. Anyhow, I have learned the two most common mistakes that are made and those which certainly I had made as well: over watering and poor light. I have taken care of the poor light by making my own fluorescent grow light and will take extra care not to overwater the next time. Related to the next time I sow seed, I just hoped someone can clear up some confusion I have:
If I make my own soil-less mix at home using 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite, what is the best time to start providing nutrients to the seedlings in form of diluted liquid fertilizer? When the first pair of true leaves appear? I understand that if I take this approach, I can use these 3 ingredients both as a medium to germinate seeds and potting mix? On a similar note, if I decide to use seed starting mix and potting mix separately, I don't need to add fertilizer to the potting mix, do I? (Because the Miracle-Gro potting mix says that it can feed indoor plants for up to 6 months). If you can verify or add to this, I would deeply appreciate it. Thank you.

Comments (3)