Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jduren_gw

seed germination kits

jduren
11 years ago

I've been looking and researching some of the available kits online but not getting a lot of information as to which kits are best and to which site to purchase from.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I will be trying to grow Tacca seeds. Thx Jack

Comments (11)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

'Kits' almost invariably cost more than just buying the items you need separately and are often not well designed (too small, etc). I would suggest you investigate germination of Tacca first, then just get the things you need (you may well have some of them, like pots or trays, already). It seems they are a difficult subject. There is a good account on a site I am not allowed to mention here. You can reach it via the site I have linked to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tacca germination

• jduren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thx... I have read this information from the original source. Because I have not done this before I was looking for recommended resources for such parts.etc that i would need. There isn't much info on the Tacca germination nor information on places online to purchase the things required to germinate the seeds. Daves garden site is helpful for the purchase of the seeds but not for the equipment...Jack

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Most any of the common seed companies or greenhouse supply companies will sell the basic supplies you need for seed starting - a small tray (size depends on the number of seeds you have), a small bag of soil-less seed starting mix, and a heat mat. The heat mat will be the most expensive item at around $40. Are you sure they are worth the investment or do you have lots of other seeds to start too?

The tray can be covered with plastic wrap with a couple of holes poked in it instead of buying a dome.

Then once they germinate you will need some sort of supplemental lights set-up.

As the site above says tacca seeds can take up to 9 months to germinate (if they ever do) and aren't at all easy to germinate.

Good luck.

Dave

PS: the thermos needed for the pre-soaking you can get anywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed starting supplies links

• jduren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've had the rattan aquarium for several yrs. Would it be possible to set up for germination?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

How so? What purpose/need do you see it playing?

Dave

• jduren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a question with a question? How not so? Is it not similar to a domed top seedling starter kit?

• jduren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't worry about it Digdirt. It'd a question for those who want to help me on the subject.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

WOW! Sorry. I was trying to help but you provided no details or explanation. It is so far out in left field for seed germination equipment that without any details from you on how you planned to use it that it is impossible to answer your question.

So no, it is not at all similar to a domed top seedling starter kit.

First it is far too deep, too big if you are thinking about using it for a seed starter. Are you going to fill it with potting mix or what? How would you supply the bottom heat? How would you do the bottom watering? How will you control the humidity level? How will you transplant out of it if the seeds germinate? How will the soil drain so to prevent root rot?

Second, it is glass not dark plastic or fiber and roots are skototropic (negative-phototropic - they shy away from light) the primary reason that all seed starting base equip is made from a dark material. Glass doesn't retain the heat either.

I suggest some basic reading on how to germinate seeds - any seeds - start with all the FAQs here.

Dave

• jduren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After my reply I found many posts across the internet using aquariums for germination. The tank is acrylic and 18x36. Its already set of for electrical. I'm a cabinet maker so setting up an adjustable fluorescent light isn't a problem. I thought is would hold moisture well and I could use a turkey baster for adding moisture as needed.

Its in the basement and I figured it would be out of the way considering I will be using artificial light and heat....

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

jduren, I am envisaging that maybe you intended to place your pots or trays inside the aquarium rather than fill it with mix and sow directly into it? But as digdirt says, it is going to be a finicky job converting that into a seed starting place. All you need is a container ( as simple as a margarine tub), some seed mix, a plastic dome or even, as he suggested, plastic film or a plastic bag and some bottom heat. Personally, I don't even think you need lights if you have a sunny window. I have none and they are rarely used by amateurs in the UK.

Read the info I linked to on starting Tacca seeds.

As with many activities, there are plenty of people trying to sell you equipment which you really don't need. Keep it simple. It's not the equipment which will make your seeds grow but your skill in creating the conditions they need.

Digdirt always offers very full and informative answers and is trying to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another thread on Tacca

• jduren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not discrediting Digdirt But it was a question and if I already knew the answer I wouldn't have asked it. Sorry to get so defensive. I spent too many years on woodworking forums with amateurs.

The Tacca seeds may or may not require 9 months or may not grow at all. I'm challenged by the fact that they are difficult to germinate and figured thats for me.

I have a finished basement where I thought using the aquarium could be used and undisturbed by anybody.

Everything for me on this will be trial and error. I've read many articles on the Tacca seed germination. Setup, correct media as well whom to order from is confusing.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area