Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these seeds going to be ok to save)?

Posted by kvalentz 5- NE Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 1:39

Hi,
I grew quite a few varieties of Zinnia this year, and unfortunatly before the seed heads dried, it snowed and froze. My question is, since they didn't fully "mature" and dry before I cut them, are they worth saving to plant next year. My guess is that they have to fully dry on the plant before harvesting but I'm sure most of you know more than me, LOL!
Thank you for your help,
Kathy
Imgardeningagain@aolcom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these seeds going to be ok to save)?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 10:11

Hi Kathy,
Becoming mature and totally dry are a bit different. So it is possible for the seeds to have been mature before the snow came and just not totally dry. You would need to bring in the flower heads. If they are wet, let them dry on paper towels. Then you can break them up and look for plump arrowhead shaped seeds. Ones that are thin and bendy never did mature. You might find a lot of those since you believe your flowers didn't have time to fully ripen, but you may get lucky and find good ones. If you find good ones, place them in a paper bag as opposed to plastic to dry more inside your house. Putting them in plastic right away can hold tiny amounts of moisture possible held in/around the seeds and ruin them.
Remy

o
RE: Are these seeds going to be ok to save)?

Thank you so much Remy, I will do that.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here