Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlowery04

Are seeds from the dehydrator viable?

tlowery04
13 years ago

It occurred to me today that most of my mixed pepper seeds came from pods that went through the dehydrator and slipped through the cracks collecting in the bottom. It then occured to me that they may not work because they were dehydrated, (~130�)

do seeds taht went through the dehydrator still germinate? I saved about a pill bottle worth of mixed cayenne and jalapeno seeds which may or may not be crossed.

Trent

Comments (7)

• cheezweaz
    13 years ago

You could always do a germination test on them yourself.

• tlowery04
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes i could.

however that would not help me determine if i need to buy the same seeds, or let me know if they are ok to trade with.

i guess i could start them tonight, would be interesting to see how long it takes them to sprout

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

I don't know if a dehydrator will kill the seeds or not. I'm sure it will lessen the overall length of viability, but maybe they will sprout in the short term.
    Do a paper towel germination test. The seeds sprout quickly if they are viable and you can get a good % count that way.

Moisten a small piece of paper towel. You want it damp not soaking wet.
    Place seeds on the wet towel. Add as many as you can to get a true measure of viability, meaning don't add 5 seeds unless you've only got a few seeds. If you've got a few hundred seeds at least 25 would be nice.
    Fold towel over seeds.
    Place the paper towel in a baggie and seal it. If it is a sandwich baggie, just tuck the opening under, you want to keep the moisture in is all.
    Place the baggie in a warm place like on top of your fridge.
    After a few days, check to see if the seeds have sprouted.
    They should start sprouting in a few days. Some tomato or pepper seeds take about a week. After that point, you can count how many sprouted and figure out the percentage rate of germination.
    Remy

• tlowery04
    Original Author
    13 years ago

they require a little bit more hydrating than normal so maybe soaking them for a day would be the best option prior to seeding, however 21 of 25 seeds germinated giving me a germination rate of 84% correct? two seeds had greyish fuzzy mold on them, two looked like they had wicked every molecule of water away from the surrounding paper and were sitting on a dry spot without germinating.

• thepodpiper
    13 years ago

Seeds do not know how they have been dried. It all depends on the temp of your deydrator. I beleive that 125 deg temps will render the seeds useless. For what it's worth i dry all of my pepper seeds in a dehydrator but I put it on the lowest temp which is about 95 deg. and I have just sprouted some that are over 4 yrs old.

Dale

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Trent,
    That's great news!

Dale,
    See now I had no clue dehydrators could be run on low temps like that. I thought they ran higher which would reduce germination significantly.
    Remy

• Higs
    3 years ago

I read this a few weeks ago after planting some carolina reaper seeds from peppers i put through a dehydrator. the seeds were almost 2 years old and amazingly they sprouted. i do think that it helped that i dehydrated them at a very low temp overall, the peppera took 2 or 3 days to dry out at the temp i had the dehydrator at.

Sponsored
More Discussions