Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngurl_gw

Free and Easy DIY seed pots

southerngurl
19 years ago

Make free seed pots from your empty paper towel/ toilet paper rolls.

-Flatten the roll, then turn and flatten again so you are making 4 sides.

{{gwi:1247438}}

-cut into thirds if you are using a paper towel roll

-at the bottom, cut up about a centimeter on each corner

{{gwi:1247441}}

-Fold the flaps that you just made like you would a box

{{gwi:1247443}}
Just plant pot and all into the garen.

Ta da! Pretty easy, eh?

Comments (14)

• momtoej
    19 years ago

Hi southerngurl,
    Thanks for the post and pictures! I made newspaper pots last year, but I think this will work even better.

• southerngurl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Your welcome! I just love using things that would normally be thrown away... although around here (gardenweb) they might be composted anyway.

The roll feeds the plant as it breaks down, and you have an inst-collar for cutworms when planted.

You might use some twine or a rubber band to hold groups of nine in a square together, so they stand up.

• dreamweaver_
    19 years ago

Southerngurl...
    Thanks so much for the illustrated instructions... :-)

• toddybare
    19 years ago

You know, I had been saving these thinking that I would use them for this purpose but not figuring how to deal with the open bottom. Your idea is the bomb. Can you believe I made seventy two of these since reading this post.

Thanks,
    Toddy

• dct1321
    19 years ago

SUPER! Love the step by step pics too...I just made 3 out of a paper towel roll I fished out of recycling.

• hummer07
    19 years ago

Oh boy.........what will DH say when I start collectng TP and PT tubes :-). He is really good about saving boxes, bubble wrap, nice bags, medicine bottles..........this just might be my ticket to the 'asylum' :o

Hummer07

• tomato_jam
    19 years ago

Thank you so much! I make the newspaper pots, and I can't wait to make these. How cool!

Julie

• trubey
    19 years ago

It looks like a great idea. Has anyone tried immersing them in water during the sprouting period?

• momtoej
    19 years ago

Hi trubey,
    I had a square plastic container that I put these paper pots in to keep them snug and all together. Then I just poured water in between the pots so that the pots could soak up the water from the bottom. Once they were wet enough, I just dumped out any extra water that didn't get soaked up. It worked great for me and the pots hold up - they don't disintegrate. I hope this helps - not sure if that's what you meant by immersing. :)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    19 years ago

I love the TP idea too! Between the two of these I'll have more then enough little pots to plant in!

Thanks so much for sharing all these great ideas.

• Toronto_Gardner
    19 years ago

love it. love it. love it :)

• jleek
    19 years ago

thank you Southerngurl! I knew I wanted to save these for a reason but couldn't remember why.Love the idea and will certainly use it. Would be great for tomatoes also

• bulbs
    19 years ago

Thanks! I'd been collecting tubes - and made 2 "clusters" out of the 1/3 parts with staples, then planting in each. But didn't like the results, and thot I'd have to discard the rest of the tubes on hand. But I love this idea, and will use it next season. Thanks again.

• mikess
    19 years ago

What's the best thing to put in these neato seed pots?

What's the best overall kind of potting soil to use?

I get a lot of promising looking seeds, some even already sprouted when I put them in the pot, and then nothing.

How about running some Super Soil type stuff through a flour sifter?

Thanks,

Mike