Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed saving info

Posted by dianamt (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 13, 06 at 10:22

I joined this forum a couple days ago, so if I am in the wrong area for this post, would someone please give my directions on which forum I need?

A couple years ago I started growing perennials. I have Canterbury Bells that I grew from seeds, along with jumping jack violas. I am not sure where the seeds are in these flowers. Also, I have Snow on the Mountain. I know that it gets a seed stalk. When do I collect the seeds? The
S on the M seeds are so tiny.

TIA
Diana MT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed saving info

Diana MT,

Sorry I can't be of help with locating these seeds as I've never grown them. But if you still haven't found the answer to your question try the perenial forum or the propagating from seed forum or the wintersowing forum. Those seem to be very active right now.

Sorry I can't be of more help and welcome to GW.

o
btw

near the bottom of the page is a search field. Type in the name of the plant your looking for and hit enter. I just typed in Canterbury Bells, and there were three results. Maybe you can find your info that way, in this forum or any of the others I mentioned.

Good luck.

o
RE: seed saving info

Canterbury bells (campanula spp.) form seed capsules (after the flowers are gone, of course) that superficially look like small poppy seed heads, and they produce very small seeds that look like small, black to brown to red (Canterbury bells are tan, I believe) flat ovals that look like they have been slightly warped. Each head produces hundreds of seeds.

Violas produce small to medium-sized spherical (more or less) capsules that, when ready, will start to turn brownish and split into three "petals". The seeds are small, white-to-brown teardrops, often with a little white bit at the sharp end. You'd want to collect them as soon as the pods open, because if you don't, as the "petals" dry, they will start to contract and squeeze the seeds until they shoot out like bullets (hence the teardrop shape), and you won't be able to get them.

If the Snow on the Mountain plants you mean are euphorbia marginata, then the seeds should be rather large (relatively speaking), at least 1/8", if I remember correctly.

Good luck, and good collecting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here