Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilt_mommy

Is there any way to tell what kind of echinacea seeds I have?

quilt_mommy
14 years ago

Last fall I could kick myself for not saving seeds, so I didn't go to any lengths to keep track of what I planted where. I just figured I'd find out next summer what's what when everything blooms again. Well now we're having a little winter warm up and I'm discovering seed pods all over the garden and snagging them up while I'm able. I was gifted several types of echinacea last year and now I'm not sure which one these seed heads are from! One I know for sure one of them is echinacea "white swan" but the other could be one of the pink varieties or a yellow variety that my MIL picked up for me at a plant sale. I planted two right next to each other too, and I didn't know until recently that they can cross pollinate when planted so closely. So I have two questions!

#1 - is there any way at all to tell the difference between the two seed heads as I have no idea which one is which?

#2 - should the seeds be true to the parent if they were planted both within months of each other last season or would have cross pollination already occurred and who knows what kind of echinacea plant these will grow? I still don't know much about all of this! :)

Thank you so much for any help anyone can offer! Here are a couple pictures:

This is the one I think may be "white swan" as it had the most flowers on it when I purchased it and it had the most seed heads today...

{{gwi:1247505}}

Here is the other, there are only two and this one is the most together even though severed...

{{gwi:1247507}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions