Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starfruit seeds?

Posted by jayson745 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 08 at 10:31

Well, I have always loved this fruit, but they charge a fortune for them. I bought a couple the other day, and was wondering how I would go about sprouting the seeds? I'm assuming they are a tropical plants and dont need a cool period. So I just have to dry them out, then sprout them like any other seed? How long do they need to dry?

Jayson

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starfruit seeds?

Jayson,
Starfruit seeds dont keep well, so plant them right away. I have planted several batchs from store bought fruit and have found they sprout easily in 2-6wks. My oldest is about 4yrs old now, no fruit yet and it's about 5ft tall. reportedly, success of getting decent fruit from seed grown plant is about 1/5 (not to bad for tree fruit.)
Hates Wind, Hates direct sun (until mature.) hates cold. Hates to be dry (so keep it moist.) also, hates to be moved around.....
in short... I have killed several of them. they are a little finicky and not to be grown by the faint of heart. Had one about 4ft tall at 3yrs of age and doing great. moved it into a "brighter" spot and it died within 10dys.

defiantly a tropical plant. but reportedly will survive 25F for short time when mature. im not brave enough to try yet:)
GOOD LUCK!
brian

o
RE: starfruit seeds?

thats not what I wanted to hear ;)

Mabey thats why they cost so much in the store.

I was going to keep it in the house in the winter, and outside in the summer. I guess I'll try it anyway, but wont get my hopes up to much

So I just plant the fresh wet seeds?
And I didn't know only some trees got fruit. I guess I'll start a bunch of them, then one day keep the one that fruits for me.

Thanx for all the tips :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here