Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?

cousinfloyd
10 years ago

I already posted the following to the vegetable forum, but I thought it would be good to copy here. I'm interested in connecting with other seed savers (particularly of edible crops) in my region. I'm a full-time, very small scale diversified direct-market farmer, farming together with my wife and the help of our children. Garden crops make up about half of the money-making part of our farm activity, covering 2+ acres/year. We try to save as much of our seed needs as we can. Toward that end we don't grow any hybrids, although we've thought about hybrids we could produce ourselves, and we've saved some seed from hybrids and unintentional crosses. I'm definitely interested in normal garden crops, but there are some less common crops that have become much loved staples for our family (roselle, yacons, summer spinach, etc.), and I'm also very interested in normal foods that aren't normally grown on a home scale (grains, oil seeds, pulses, etc.) I've gotten great ideas and advice and new-to-me seed varieties from one enthusiastic seed saver I've gotten to know, and I'd love to connect with others in the region. If you're a seed saver that might be open to sharing advice, talking, swapping seeds, etc., I'd be very happy to hear from you.
-Eric

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions