Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 12:05

I already posted the following to the vegetable forum, but I thought it would be good to copy here. I'm interested in connecting with other seed savers (particularly of edible crops) in my region. I'm a full-time, very small scale diversified direct-market farmer, farming together with my wife and the help of our children. Garden crops make up about half of the money-making part of our farm activity, covering 2+ acres/year. We try to save as much of our seed needs as we can. Toward that end we don't grow any hybrids, although we've thought about hybrids we could produce ourselves, and we've saved some seed from hybrids and unintentional crosses. I'm definitely interested in normal garden crops, but there are some less common crops that have become much loved staples for our family (roselle, yacons, summer spinach, etc.), and I'm also very interested in normal foods that aren't normally grown on a home scale (grains, oil seeds, pulses, etc.) I've gotten great ideas and advice and new-to-me seed varieties from one enthusiastic seed saver I've gotten to know, and I'd love to connect with others in the region. If you're a seed saver that might be open to sharing advice, talking, swapping seeds, etc., I'd be very happy to hear from you.
-Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any seed savers in z7/8 Southeast?

If you save hybrid seeds unless you cross the hybrid yourself, it wont be a hybrid, it will be one plant or the other.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here