Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for the seed in sneezeweed

Posted by Yvette_Adams z5 Quebec (adams_yvette2000@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Jan 4, 05 at 13:51

Can someone tell me where to find the seed in the flower of helenium, AKA sneezeweed? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for the seed in sneezeweed

The seeds are a part of the brown/black dome-like center of the flower. They are very tiny (about 1/16th of an inch long) and very difficult to seperate from the chaff. In the link below, the seed is the "fuzzy point" of the dart-like object at the bottom center of the drawing. If you are going to plant them, there's really no need to seperate them from the chaff. Just crumble the "dome" with your thumb and forefinger and spread the seed and chaff mix on your sowing media.

If you are trying to seperate some seed from the chaff for trading purposes, the only way that I've been able to do it is to thoroughly crumble the "dome" on a paper plate and then gently shake the plate to seperate out some seed. The seed is only slightly heavier than the chaff, so it is a long tedious process.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sneezeweed seed

o
RE: looking for the seed in sneezeweed

Thanks Wisconson for your very helpful explanation. IN the past, when sowing the tinier seeds,I have often sown the chaff and seed together as I have very poor eyesight, and have never really had germination troubles doing that. Your link was great...thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here