Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ginkgo Tree Seeds

Posted by atravers zone 5 (atravers@snet.net) on
Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 14:26

Can someone tell me when to collect these seeds? Do they appear around the same time as sugar maples in the spring/early summer?

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ginkgo Tree Seeds

Hi,

Here is a site with info on Ginko Trees that you may find useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: ginko tree

o

Gingkos seed in the fall. Most ginkgos chosen for landscape purposes are males because of the smell of the flesh that encases the seed. The females are easy to spot--they produce tons of seeds. I begin to notice them mid to late summer.

o

I happened to see people talking about ginkgo seeds. Please be aware that the pulp around the fruit not only smells but it also has the same irritating compounds as Poison Ivy. (Mango skins have it too.)
There are two types of people thoes who are alergic to Poison Ivy and thoes who will be.

I got a bad case of it when I cleaned up a whole batch of seeds in a 5 gallon bucket. It looked like chemical burns. Not fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: uroshiol

o

That fruit smells so bad that I think female trees should be outlawed within the city limits.

It's worse than any dirty cat box or any hogs I have ever smelled.

Sue

o

I am used to it now. When I first smelled ours, it smelled like poop. Now, it's just the smell of the gingko. Part of life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here