Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any idea what kind of seeds these are?

Posted by ThePinkWoman 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 14:34

I have bags of seeds laying all around my garage. A year or two ago, I ordered Heuchera seeds and planted a few but none germinated. I decided to try again this year with the Heuchera, and am looking for the seeds amongst all of these others. Do these look like Heuchera seeds to you? If not, what would they look like? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any idea what kind of seeds these are?

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 1:35

Looks like onion seeds to me.

o

The picture is to fuzzy to make the shape of the seed. Heucheras usually have tiny, petunia-like seeds, as far as I know.

o

Kind of like onions, but too fuzzy to tell for sure. To me they look more like Yucca filamentosa seeds.

o

Heuchera seeds are more like brown-black dust: way smaller than petunia seeds.

Just sprinkle a few atop the potting mix -- avoid the temptation to use too many. And don't sprinkle any potting mix over the seeds, because they need light to germinate. But do cover the pots with clear plastic so the mix doesn't dry up.

Once the seeds have sprouted, remove the cover. Mist the top or water them from below as needed.

o

I agree that it is hard to tell, with the photo out of focus... but they look like morning glory seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here