Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about Linum Lewisii

Posted by joytosew 5MO (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 08 at 16:37

I have been looking for the flax seed that you can grow and use for cooking. I don't think this is it, but someone sent me an envelope of seeds and this was in it flax perennial blue Linum Lewisii.

I am thinking this is a decorative flower and not the flax seed I am looking to grow, am I correct?

Thank you,
cristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about Linum Lewisii

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 13, 08 at 9:06

Hi Cristi,
You are correct. The flax for eating is Linum usitatissimum. Linum usitatissimum does grow wild though in your area(see the link below,) so hopefully you can aquire the seeds from someone.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Linum usitatissimum Info Page on Missouri Plants

o
RE: ? about Linum Lewisii

Wow,
great site! Thank you very much, I have added it to my bookmarks.
Photos were taken in Columbia and I will be there working for a few days this week. I will drop in at the conservation center and see if they can help me =)

thank you Remy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here