Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions about saving seeds over to the next season

Posted by lroberge 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 08 at 17:51

Greetings! I have several questions that I would appreciate others input on.

If I have seed (in packet) from the last seasdon, can I save it for the next season? Examples: tomato, pepper, carrots, radish.

Also, if saving seeds is Ok for one year, then why not purchase seed for the next year, when the garden stores are having discount or clearance sales (as in June or July), then save the seed until the next year?

If properly storeds, the seeds should be good until the next year and the gardener will save some money in the purchasing of the seeds...right?

Any thoughts?

Lawrence

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions about saving seeds over to the next season

There are quite a few seeds that can be saved over a season (or two or three). Things like tomatoes peppers and radishes can be saved for a couple years with minimal changes in germination. However, things like carrots and alliums lose their viability over the course of a year. Generally, you'll experience poorer germination rates.

Seeds should be kept in a cool dry place. Heat and humidity can destroy the seeds.

Here's a chart, with the general rule of thumb about seed storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed storage

o

Here is a link to the FAQ for this forum (linked on the forum front page). The FAQ's were written to address all your questions on how to save seed, which ones can be saved, how to harvest, how to store, etc.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Saving FAQ's

o

The list suggested by Booberry gave four years for tomato seeds. A List I saw a year or two back gave six years. So there is a range of years, rather than just one single number.

o

I just winter sowed Nicotiana Sl. flower seed that were 10 yrs old & got 80% germination. They were stored properly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here