Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting basil seeds

Posted by jeff_12422 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 17:52

Any tips on how to harvest basil seeds from plants that have wintered indoors in pots?

Is it even worth it to try to propagate them from seed if they're plants I bought at the grocery store last summer (so not sure if they're hybrids/viable anyway)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting basil seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 8:15

Basil doesn't make seed pods. The seeds are nestled in the remnants of the dried up flower head. The seeds are dark, small, round to oval in shape.
If you like the basil you grew, you can definitely grow them from seed. Most Basil(might be all, don't have time to look it up right now) is not hybrid. If you want to have more plants, it is worth it. If you only want one and want to spend the few dollars on a new plant, you can do that too.
Remy

o

I bought some basil plants this spring at the nursery, and I also got some seed. The seed I planted was unbelievably easy to germinate, it was lime and a purple basil. I don't even think I watered it much and they sprouted into strong little plants.

I'm missing those plants right now, as I pulled the dried herbs from my cabinet to make sauce tonight...

o

I know I can wait a few months and get another plant for a few dollars, but I'm in experimentation mode. And my garden is so small (1 4x4 square foot garden bed for now, plus a few pots) that it seems silly to buy a whole packet of seeds when I'm only going to have 2 or 3 plants. So I thought I'd ask. I guess I can give it a try with one of the indoor plants I have, and see how it goes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here