Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
learning to save seed

Posted by david8n 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 18:08

Hello all this is my first year growing plants from seed and I plan on saving some this fall so i don't have to buy them all again question. if you save seed from flowers is it going to matter if it is a hybrid. I hear all sorts of talk of hybrids and herlooms but wasn't to sure on it makes a difference on my flowers mostly will be doing perenials like columbine coneflower and dianthus as those are my favorites

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: learning to save seed

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 23:23

Hi David,
Yes, it does make a difference.
Hybrids(F1) are varieties that won't come true from seed. Which means the plants from seeds you saved will vary. How much they vary depends on the genetic makeup of the hybrid.
Open Pollinated(OP) varieties will come true from seed. Though some types of plants readily cross with other plants growing in your garden or your neighbors' gardens. So you do need to know which types are more promiscuous.
Heirloom is a term for an old variety,but some OP varieties are new.
Some perennials will come true and some are VERY promiscuous. Columbines cross readily in the garden. Coneflowers will cross so if you lets say have 'White Swan' in your garden, but your neighbor has a pink cultivar. Your seed saved of 'White Swan' will produce seedlings in various shades of pink.
Dianthus I've found to be more true to the parent.
On the Winter Sowing forum, they have been working on a chart of plants and their offspring whether they come true or not. You might like to check that out.
Remy

o
RE: learning to save seed

can you tell me how to find that chart on the winter sowing forum? Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here