Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Cilantro, Chive

Posted by booberry85 z5NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 08 at 18:51

I have all of these seeds left over from the 2007 gardening season. Will I still be able to use them in 2008? How long do these seeds last? Right now they are stored in paper envelopes, in a shoe box, in my sewing room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Cilantro, Chive

With the exception of the chives, most all seeds, assuming well dried before stored, will last for years. The seeds you buy marked "packed for 2008" were harvested, dried, and stored in 2007 (or earlier sometimes). ;)

Room temperature is fine or you can freeze or refrigerate the packets. I store mine in a glass jar in the freezer and get excellent germination rates even after 5 years. And seeds as old as 20 years have been germinated and grown by others.

Chives can be picky about germination but year old seeds should still give you good germination. After a year they fall off germinating rather quickly I have found.

Dave

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 9, 08 at 15:23

Parsley only lasts about a year also.
Remy

o

Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here