Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knittlin

Texas Mountain Laural seed viability?

knittlin
15 years ago

I've long believed that Texas Mountain Laurel (Sophora secundiflora) seeds can stay viable for years and years in just about any storage conditions, but I just wanted to doublecheck before I trade them to someone. I found some that were about four or five years old, kept in a chest in my storage shed (shaded shed so it doesn't get that hot). Does anyone know for sure?

Comments (4)

• Pizzahaulic
    15 years ago

They are pretty hardy with that hard outer coat. I have some from this season, if you want to trade or share what you are getting :). The outer seed coat needs to be scored (I used a dremel and it took a while to cut through) and then soak them in water ~24 hours and they will double in size. Plant them and voila...sprouts.

I also have some that have recently sprouted that I could try to ship.(never tried shipping them before and have heard they don't like to be transplanted)

I want anything herbs and/or wysteria.

• knittlin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the offer, Pizzahaulic. I appreciate it, but my trader and I have already agreed to postpone the trade until I can get fresh seed later this year (it's easy to get with all the mtn. laurel trees around here ~ just not this time of year) and (s)he can get fresh seed of what I wanted. But it was awful generous of you to offer without knowing what I was getting in return. :)

And for the record, I cracked open the seeds and soaked them, but they quickly fell apart ~ some shattered as I cracked them, some later that day as swelling started to happen, and some in the coming days. I think they were just too old and dried.

• Pizzahaulic
    15 years ago

sorry to hear it. i have a ton i just harvested, as they are dangling from the trees here in Texas. if you want to send me an SASBE and 4 stamps, I'd be happy to send you a bunch. They are heavy and bulky and that is why the extra postage. I recently sent some and got gouged at the PO.

A gauge of how old they are is the dot where they were attached to the seed pod when growing. If it is still white, they are likely less than a year old and very viable. If it is black then they are over a year old and/or pretty dry, but I have still had great success with older seeds.

• knittlin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Pizzahaulic! But a friend found some from last year still on a tree in Austin and have a bag full now. I'm still going to wait and get some fresh seed this year, too ~ the trees at work are blooming now. Don't you just LOVE the smell?

Say, have you seen the gray-leaved Texas Mountain Laurel? We just got some in at work. The leaves are covered with a gray fuzz like the seed pods. Wild.

Sponsored
More Discussions