Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh no! Accidental extreme seed saving...

Posted by SammyG 7 noVa (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 21:20

After moving into a new house back in September, I finally unpacked the last of our boxes this past weekend. Guess what I found? Containers of seeds that I had saved BACK IN 2007. They are Black Eyed Susan, Pink Cone Flower, and some Champion.

Is there any hope for these seeds? Should I just try to germinate some and see what happens?

Seeds are pretty new to me- I tried it a few years back with minimal success (but plan to do my research this time around!).

Thanks for any suggestions :)

-Samantha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh no! Accidental extreme seed saving...

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 9:31

Hi Samantha,
They should be viable to some extent. Exposure to high heat and/or humidity lowers germination rates. Time also lowers germination rates, but 3 years isn't that long for those seeds. So if you had them stored in halfway decent conditions these past few years, you will get germination.
Remy

o
RE: Oh no! Accidental extreme seed saving...

An update, many months later!!

I winter-sowed a bunch of them back in January and most of them germinated! I was shocked and thrilled! :)

The campion didn't flower this year, but the pink cone flower and black eyed susans produced a few plants that have flowers on them right now.

Yay for my first experience with winter sowing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here