Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Saving seed from squash- F1's, etc etc

dirtslinger2
15 years ago

I've heard squashes, particularly when different squashes are planted together- don't come true to seed.

That is not a problem to me- I like them all!

If I grow a mix of hybrid seeds, heirlooms, winters, pumpkins, summers, etc etc etc in my garden patch- AND COLLECT SEEDS FROM THESE OPEN POLLINATED FRUITS... will the mixed parentage create decent fruit? I don't need named varieties- I just don't want anything reverting to nasty old wild-stock!

Will crooknecks and zucchinis breed into my winter squashes- or are they different species?

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (9)

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Dirtslinger,
    I just answered your question over on e the veggie forum, lol, with the link below.
    That being said, you didn't ask about hybrids before. You don't know what the babies will be. They could be similar to the parent or very different depending on the lineage used to create that hybrid.
    "I just don't want anything reverting to nasty old wild-stock!" There is no way of knowing if crossed babies will taste good or not.
    Crookneck squash and zucchini are both Cucurbita pepo. So yes they will cross.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Squash Seed Thread

• dirtslinger2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again Remy!
    I came here to also add... that I double posted this not sure if I would get good answers but rather I am very pleased- so thanks for the help! Great stuff here!!

• wally_1936
    15 years ago

I grew crook neck squash in Colorado and threw the too old hardened ones into my garden and tilled them under for the winter. They came up the next year so I let them grow. I had very large long squash which were still yellow. They were also a vine as to before were a bush plant. I didn't like the after taste but my children didn't mind. They love fried squash more than they do stews.

• Phylis
    9 years ago

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I really hope someone can help me out..

I found many fancy named hybrid pumpkins at my local produce stores, would the seeds I save from them come true? Especially this one.. thank you!

http://www.gurneys.com/product/one_too_many_hybrid_pumpkin/pumpkin-seed

• zzackey
    9 years ago

As far as I know the only seeds to come true are those saved from heirloom plants. Hybrids won't grow true.

• little_minnie
    9 years ago

What you are talking about is starting a landrace. Each squash species will only cross within its species. See the link below. I have a Moschata landrace going and may start a Maxima one. If you grow summer squash it is best to not start a Pepo landrace because they have different eating qualities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joseph Lofthouse's Mother Earth News articles

• little_minnie
    9 years ago

It doesn't have to do with hybrids but with pollination. Don't save squash seed unless you know it was hand pollinated or the farmer grew one giant field of only one variety. Otherwise the bees will have crossed pollen from this and that variety within the species. Whether it is hybrid or OP doesn't matter really.

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

I have read a few commenters say that SOME, not many, hybrids can come close to true from seed. The seed saver at home then simply saves the BEST fruit seed each year to make the seed/variety more stable/true-to-type. I think this is one of the reasons big seed co.s like Monsanto have a problem with big seed saving libraries. But, the one hybrid squash I grew turned out to be a little freaky monster. I don't have the space or patience to test this. So, I try to make notes when another gardener says a certain hybrid comes fairly true from seed.

• remy_gw
    9 years ago

Some hybrids have more a more complex background where parents differ greatly so the offspring will show more variety. Some of course are more closely matched, and you may see only subtle differences in grow outs.
    Of course as Minnie said above if the plants get crossed pollinated by insects then that is a whole nother set of genes thrown into the mix.