Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tricks to saving pepper seeds?

Posted by wokney57 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 8:59

Are there any tricks to saving pepper seeds? The reason I ask is I saved some seeds from last September from many different mature fruits and it's been 14 days at 85F and they haven't germinated. In the same time store-bought parsley (10 days), oregano (4), tomatoes (3), marigolds (2) have germinated just fine. It was my first time saving pepper seeds and I noticed that sometimes the seeds would get black edges when they dried out and those seeds I trashed. I only kept the ones that stayed cream-colored and almost waxy. They were stored at room temperature in a paper envelope. They came from plants that were from a burpee seed mix of Big Red, Chardonay, Diamond, Orange Sun, and Purple Beauty. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tricks to saving pepper seeds?

My first guess would be lower your temp. Some things actually germinate better at lower temps. Try a range of 65 to 72f before you conclude it is the seed.

o

Not sure I agree that the temperature is a problem. These are bell peppers, 85F is ideal and the range is 65-95 according to my county extension. I only have one germination chamber so I had some parsley, kale, and broccoli in there at 85F and those germinated fine. I thought maybe there was something I didn't know about with seed saving. All I did was collect seeds as I ate the peppers over the summer and put them in a paper envelope after they dried. Maybe its not that simple with peppers maybe it is? Last year's packets didn't say anything about being hybrid varieties or anything.

o

With hybrids it will either produce no seeds or it will not be true to the parent, and if it does produce seed and is not true then even sometimes that plant may be sterile. Make sense??

I am not where I can post links, but there is a website that has indetail instructions on saving seed. I have posted it in other threads it has info about peppers also. Or do a quick search via web browser for our garden gang seed saving.

If that website pretty much goes along with what you have done, then just try a few seeds at a lower temp. No matter what I grow I always have higher germination rates at lower temps!! 65 to 70!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here