Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine seeds...what do I do??

Posted by cedardave winnipeg (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 6, 07 at 9:53

I have an 8 foot Jasmine tree indoors. I dont know what variety of jasmine it is. The plant has just finished a huge flowering and now had red "pods" which I asume are seed pods. When are these pods ok to pull from the plant. Are they single seeds or pods full of seeds? Do i need to dry them before planting them? Do I need to soak them before planting them? Im good with bananas and palms...awful new to this one though. Thanks
dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine seeds...what do I do??

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 18, 07 at 16:57

Hi Dave,
I looked on The Seed Site. The pic shows black pods. Did yours turn or are turning color since you posted?
I've never grown jasmine. I wish I knew more.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: The Seed Site Page w/Jasmine Seed Pic

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 9, 07 at 8:32

Seeds are in the pod the number probably depends on the variety. The Star jasmine pods are red & get soft when mature. There are about 5 seeds/pod. If harvested too early seeds are not viable. They are sticky & messy to clean.

o

The pods are still coming....and still red...and your right, they are sticky . I did clean a few and plant. So far nothing ,but I may have taken them to soon. Time will tell I suppose.

o

I am very interested in this because I have a seed pod too. My jasmine is about 4 ft. and I picked my pod yesterday. It is bright red and oozing a clear liquid. When do I plant it, dry it - not sure. Any help would be appreciated. I did a search and didn't see any other posts related to this topic. I hope I didn't ruin it by picking it. One more thing - when can I prune?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here